UPDATED! - Swapping out iPhone today at the Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bnugentg5, Aug 6, 2010.

1. bnugentg5 macrumors newbie

My wife and I got our phones the day before the release. The only issue we've had is dropping calls in areas we hadn't before. It was happening quite frequently.

No death grip issues or other issues. I tried the electrical tape/sim card frame thing, restore, restore and manually reinstall apps, etc. Nothing.

I had read that Apple was changing something in the manufacturing process to improve reception. Something about insulating components or something in the phone and that's why after the initial batch, shipments were delayed.

I actually read in an Apple thread yesterday that if you turn off 3G, it improves your signal. Holy Moley! Let's all go back to the first gen then! People actually considered this an acceptable solution. Another guy said that he bought a 3G microcell to fix this issue. Again, Holy Moley! It's not like you can take it with you!

Anyways, I'll post my honest opinion on the replacement phones after a few days of use and beyond as needed.

I hope this may help those who are having similar issues.

2. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Usually I don't like these replys but for some reason I started cracking up after this.

Also: Riveting tale, chap.

3. Centient macrumors 6502

Same here. Perfect House mock.

4. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Wow that was so helpful! Thanks!

5. iMikeT macrumors 68020

6. Stein357 macrumors 6502

The phone is not going to be any different, you're wasting your time exchanging it. If you're frustrated with it, return it.

7. bnugentg5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello All! So..... It's been 2 weeks.

I have to say I've seen an improvement. Initially, when I want into the store, the genius kinda balked. We don't warranty network issues. I said fine, but i use my iPhone 4 in the exact same area as my 3GS, and I drop calls. That strikes me as a hardware issue. I also reminded her this exchange was approved by a senior support person at Apple.

Here's what I find troubling.... I still drop calls. On a scale of frequency, I'd have to say I drop 10 calls where is used to drop 2-3. That's quite a jump.

I will say turning off 3G and using edge only does improve signal, but who wants to do that? Doesn't that gut the appeal of the phone?

People also tell me to get a microcell. Well, that's nice, but you can't take it with you.

I REALLY am hoping that Apple and AT&T have something up their sleeves and one day will announce, "our new network is online, surprise!, everything 50% faster!"

Otherwise, I'm somewhat disappointed in Apple. I do use a case, and this isn't a death grip thing. I am a shareholder also.

Am i ditching the phone? No. I simply wish it was as reliable as my 3GS.

8. vhl71 macrumors regular

I'd similar problems. Random dropped calls - got it replaced - its been 3 days - no dropped calls so far.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Welcome to last month. Yes, the iPhone 4 has some reception issues other phones (like the 3GS) do not have. If you have been following the issues since its inception, you have 3 choices:

1) Move to an area where your reception is better
    2) Return the phone and buy an iPhone 3GS or a different brand
    3) Weight the pros and cons of your phone and perhaps you'll decide to just live with it. In the word of Steve Jobs "It's just a phone".

10. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

11. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Does anyone know if the 7-11 around the block has 2% Milk?

12. samcraig macrumors P6

They do - but because of a known leak - you have to carry it around in a case. From now until the end of Sept - you can get one free- but there's a 4-6 week waiting period. So your milk might spoil by then. Better to drink it at the store.