Updated to 10.5.3- Now Time Machine is Upset

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anirban, Jun 23, 2008.

1. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hello all!

I just updated my computer to 10.5.3. After that, I decided to perform a Time Machine backup. The TM has been "Preparing Backup" for over an hour. I have tried restarting the backup drive, rebooting the computer, and repairing permissions on both drives. None of them have helped.

I can restore older files using TM. During the "Preparing for Backup" process, the backup HDD is active- so it doesn't seem to be frozen.

The last backup performed by TM was just before the software update. TM works flawlessly before the update.

Can anyone tell me what else I can try to get TM working again? Completely erasing the backup drive is not an option. I have a lot of TM data that I would like to keep.

My backup drive is connected via USB.

Thanks a lot!

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A331 Safari/525.20)

it could be possible that file update notifications are disabled or deleted during the update, meaning time machine has to re scan the entire disk. Maybe if you leave it long enough it will be ok.

3. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Well, I left it running all night, and it is still in the "preparing backup" stage.

Anything else that I could try? Thanks a lot.

4. MaddMacs macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem, first TM gave me an error saying it couldn't mount the disk image, I restarted my computer, then it said ...preparing... for hours and finally gave me the same error. So I went into my TM and selected the disk again, and I restarted my AEBS and my computer and then it worked. So try deselecting your back up disk in TM then reselecting it, and restart.