Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JB007TLD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Hello, I have a 2017 Macbook Pro and I just installed the new update for Monterey (12.6) I believe there was also a safari update with it as well. Both wifi and LAN are not working. I have tried several tips on a few support boards but am coming up empty. Restart, Safe mode, new ip, wifi only, lan only, none of it does a thing. Checked the router, fine. Was literally working perfectly until this update installed. Every other internet device in house is working fine. What am I missing? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
A few questions to start: Is there another network nearby you can try connecting to(a friend's house or a hotspot)? Are you getting any connection error messages? Are you on a VPN?

JB007TLD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
No other network, but I did try to connect to the hotspot on my phone and nothing. No error messages in safari, just getting the blue load bar about a fourth of the way across the page and it just hangs. In Chrome after a long wait I eventually get - site can’t be reached. Servers ip address could not be found. Then it says DNS_probe_finished_bad_config. I occasionally use TorGuard VPN but it is disabled.

As mentioned before, every other device in the house is fine using this connection. Problem only started this morning after I did the 12.6 update.

Not sure if it means anything but the only thing I have been doing on this computer thats out of the ordinary is I have a new RAID enclosure and have been using carbon copy cloner to back up and move things over from old drive to new drive. (Ccc will not open since I was on a trail and it needs to connect to the internet to verify me before opening) could that have something to do with it? Thanks for your help.

A few questions to start: Is there another network nearby you can try connecting to(a friend's house or a hotspot)? Are you getting any connection error messages? Are you on a VPN?

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
VPN's don't seem to work well in Monterey. I had PIA installed but, like you, had it disabled. Wifi didn't work no matter what I tried. Once I uninstalled my VPN network connectivity was restored. It's worth a try.

No other network, but I did try to connect to the hotspot on my phone and nothing. No error messages in safari, just getting the blue load bar about a fourth of the way across the page and it just hangs. In Chrome after a long wait I eventually get - site can’t be reached. Servers ip address could not be found. Then it says DNS_probe_finished_bad_config. I occasionally use TorGuard VPN but it is disabled.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You're mentioning web browsers. What happens with other apps that connect to the internet?

What shows on the Wi-fi icon in the Finder menu bar? Or under Preferences > Network? Anything look different there?

Even though you checked your LAN and router, did you reboot those too? Did you toggle Wi-fi off and on on your Mac?

Even though TorGuard VPN is disabled, I might suggest completely uninstalling it. You might want to also search the user Library and system Library for any application remnants in case they're not all removed during the uninstall.

JB007TLD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
You're mentioning web browsers. What happens with other apps that connect to the internet?

What shows on the Wi-fi icon in the Finder menu bar? Or under Preferences > Network? Anything look different there?

Even though you checked your LAN and router, did you reboot those too? Did you toggle Wi-fi off and on on your Mac?

Even though TorGuard VPN is disabled, I might suggest completely uninstalling it. You might want to also search the user Library and system Library for any application remnants in case they're not all removed during the uninstall.
No other apps will connect to the internet either. Restarted router/modem. I’ll give the uninstall of torguard a shot. I dont spend much time in the system/user library - ill search how to get in, but should I just be looking for torguard related items and delete them?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
If enabled, try to disable iCloud Private Relay https://support.apple.com/HT212614

And try to manually set the DNS server.
Apple - Specify a DNS server on Mac https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/specify-a-dns-server-on-mac-mchlp2720/11.0/mac/11.0
Google Public DNS https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Cloudflare DNS Servers https://1.1.1.1/dns/
1.1.1.2 (No Malware) & 1.1.1.3 (No Malware or Adult Content)
https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-1-1-1-1-for-families/
OpenDNS https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/
OpenDNS FamilyShield https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/?url=familyshield
Quad9 DNS https://www.quad9.net

Reactions: splifingate

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
No other apps will connect to the internet either. Restarted router/modem. I’ll give the uninstall of torguard a shot. I dont spend much time in the system/user library - ill search how to get in, but should I just be looking for torguard related items and delete them?
Yes, look for torguard. Open that Library folder's finder window and use the search in that window. If the search location in that window defaults to say, Macintosh HD or This Mac, just tap on the Library location next to it. Same with your user Library folder. You would think if (in the example below) searching This Mac would include the system Library, but it doesn't.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 7.45.40 AM.png

JB007TLD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Update: Thank you to everyone that posted suggestions. I really appreciate it. I have internet again! The crazy thing is that this morning I was all ready to uninstall my VPN - TorGuard and follow the instructions you all were kind enough to provide. Before I did the uninstall, for ***** and giggles I decide to load TorGuard... Magically it connects! I go to a few websites and check my mail app, everything seems to be running as normal. I then disconnected from Torguard, and the internet is still working! restarted the computer and everything seems to be working fine. (Although overall performance of 12.6 seems slow) I guess all it needed was to restart something with Torguard. Thanks so much again I would not have even thought about the vpn if it wasn't for the suggestions here.

Reactions: Martyimac

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Update: Thank you to everyone that posted suggestions. I really appreciate it. I have internet again! The crazy thing is that this morning I was all ready to uninstall my VPN - TorGuard and follow the instructions you all were kind enough to provide. Before I did the uninstall, for ***** and giggles I decide to load TorGuard... Magically it connects! I go to a few websites and check my mail app, everything seems to be running as normal. I then disconnected from Torguard, and the internet is still working! restarted the computer and everything seems to be working fine. (Although overall performance of 12.6 seems slow) I guess all it needed was to restart something with Torguard. Thanks so much again I would not have even thought about the vpn if it wasn't for the suggestions here.
Glad to hear the suggestions worked. Like you, once I reinstalled the VPN everything worked again.

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
There’s more to this. I’ve had two computers have the same issue. Both post install of 12.6. One MacBook Pro M1 Pro and the other is a MacBook Air M1. So it’s independent of the machine.

rjg125

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2006
There is def more to this. Same issue here with MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020). No errors, just disconnected. In my particular case I restarted, turned wifi on/off, restarted ISP routers to no avail. Connecting to my iPhone as hotspot seemed to reset whatever the issue was and I was able to reconnect to my wifi network again after having connected to the hotspot. Will update here if it breaks again. Hopefully this is it for my solution. Hope it helps others.

Want-to-retire

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
I'm having the same issue. Updated the iMac to 12.6 because of security warnings. This morning, wifi won't connect to my network. All other devices on network are working fine. Roommate who also works remotely is on wifi. I deleted the network name and tried reattaching, without success. Turned wifi off, restarted, turned wifi back on and tried to get onto my network, without success. Tried hotspotting from iPhone. That got me online but didn't enable the iMac to see my wifi network when I disconncted the hotspot. Safe mode restart did not help. Ended up stringing ethernet cable so I could get online. Not using a VPN. I'd love to not have ethernet strung from my modem to the iMac. I need my wireless to work--it was flawless until this update. Any suggestions, anyone?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm having the same issue. Updated the iMac to 12.6 because of security warnings. This morning, wifi won't connect to my network. All other devices on network are working fine. Roommate who also works remotely is on wifi. I deleted the network name and tried reattaching, without success. Turned wifi off, restarted, turned wifi back on and tried to get onto my network, without success. Tried hotspotting from iPhone. That got me online but didn't enable the iMac to see my wifi network when I disconncted the hotspot. Safe mode restart did not help. Ended up stringing ethernet cable so I could get online. Not using a VPN. I'd love to not have ethernet strung from my modem to the iMac. I need my wireless to work--it was flawless until this update. Any suggestions, anyone?
I would try deleting the wi-fi completely in the Network settings, restart and then see if re-adding it makes a difference.

You could also try running the Wireless Diagnostics:

Want-to-retire

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
I tried deleting the named network, restarting the iMac, then adding the network. Made no difference. Wireless diagnostic won't run because I can't connect to the network. I'm stumped.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I tried deleting the named network, restarting the iMac, then adding the network. Made no difference. Wireless diagnostic won't run because I can't connect to the network. I'm stumped.
Yeah, this is pretty frustrating. I'm sure you're tearing your hair out after a day of this. Guess I would look next anything that could possibly cause a conflict with your network. Have you tried disabling Private Relay if you had that on? Have you logged out of your Apple ID and back in? Have you rebooted your modem and router? What's the wi-fi connection error you get?

Want-to-retire

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
I appreciate the support! It's been a rough one. No private relay. I'll try logging out of my Apple ID and back in. Couldn't boot the modem until my roomie finished work. Will try that next.

Error message is that it could not join the network, the network can't be found (yet my iPhone finds it just fine and is on it).

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
I had a similar experience in the past. I have copied and pasted my post from another thread re this:

I had this too and spent useless hours with my internet provider. I finally found the solution for me. The was going to system preferences - network - going down the the bottom left hand corner and clicking on the + sign - scrolling to select "internet" - clicking create ..... and hey presto - surfing again. I hope this helps. The resetting of the other fields happened automatically with the create selection.

Want-to-retire

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
Everyone, thanks for your support! I had tried restarting the modem and the iMac, multiple times, with no success. So, I shut down the iMac and unplugged the modem, leaving them off overnight, then plugged the modem back in and turned on the iMac. For whatever reason, that did it. Guess I wore the poor modem out and it needed a nice, long nap . . . . HA!

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Hmm... well, I just installed 12.6 and it's my ethernet connection that's broken. Oddly I can get on the internet via wifi at the office, but usually prefer the gigabit LAN connection for moving large files and such. I do have the "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client" installed on my machine, but I'm not using since I'm in the office. I'm wondering if there's a component there causing me problems...

EDIT: Annnnd it seems to have resolved itself. Strange!

Last edited:

Want-to-retire

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
Update from my end. More weirdness. Everything had been working until around noon today. Despite internet working fine (streaming music on other devices), the iMac lost internet. Had to go back to ethernet. Gremlins . . . .

S1nglemalt

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
For what it's worth... I struggled with this for several days, scouring forums for answers. In my case, it turned out to be the order of the connections in the left pane, under Network Preferences. I had an ethernet connection that was live, but does not go out to the internet, and it was higher in order on the connections. Best of luck all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.