Updated to 3.2.1 after JB

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by asdfTT123, Jul 15, 2010.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I decided I wasn't happy with my iPad's diminished battery life so I upgraded the software to 3.2.1. Of course, it broke Spirit. However, I'm starting to miss a few apps that I could only get via Cydia. Will the Spirit team release a new version to JB 3.2.1 later?

I suppose in the meantime I'll appreciate the battery life more.

Thanks.

2. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

Who knows. The exploit that allowed spirit has been closed. Either they need to find a new exploit for a user land jailbreak or they will need to go to a non user land jailbreak instead. Could take some time

4. thundermustard macrumors regular

It is frustrating waiting on JB's. You have to decide what is more important to you.
    Of course, it is possible that future JB'ing will require you already be jailbroken.

5. mixvio macrumors 6502

Mine's been jailbroken for two months and I'm still not seeing this 'diminished battery life' some other people are complaining about. I get a solid 10 hours on mine when I push it 100%, and significantly longer than that in normal use.

If I could get 11 or 12 hours if I gave up all the functionality I got with the jailbreak, I don't see myself being that interested in it.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ no diminished battery on mine either. I have a 64GB 3G and get 9-10 hours always.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I noticed a significant drop in battery life after JB'ing my 32GB WiFi iPad... down to about 8 hrs usage (vs. nearly 12 when not JB'ed) I was getting 12 before, about 8 when JB'ed, back to 12 after restoring back. During my JB testing (3-4 days), I did not install any apps from Cydia... I only ran the mix of apps that I had been running before JB'ing. I am quite confident that my usage isolated JB'ing as the only variable.

As for why some people are seeing this and others aren't... I don't know.

8. FLYING SE7EN macrumors regular

FLYING SE7EN

I noticed battery loss after jail breaking my iPhone with blackra1n, but it cleared up after a reboot( held in home and sleep buttons for 8 seconds).

Same thing happened when I used Spirit on my iPad. Once I rebooted I got back to 10 or more hours of battery life.

9. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

+1

10. AIRniloc macrumors regular

AIRniloc

11. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

Have not seen this at all. Get a steady 10 hours and have been jailbroken from day one. Run Cydia apps all the time

You probaly are doing something wrong or I'm justucky.

12. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

FYI, if you did jailbreak your iPad, upgraded and you reeeeeeeeeeeally miss having a jailbroken iPad, go to http://www.saurik.com/id/12 and read. The same applies to the iPad, I've tried downgrading and it works. Use google to find a 3.2 system.

Oh, I never noticed any kind of diminished battery life, also, but I do spend a lot of time watching baseball games and stuff using MLB at Bat, Slingplayer and Orb, so it's not like it had stellar battery life to start with. The only Cydia app I had on it, other than Cydia itself, was FakeLocation.

13. mixvio macrumors 6502

Nope, can't say my experience is anywhere like this.

Even still, eight hours would still last longer than my laptop. The only time I've really ran the battery to zero has been when I was deliberately attempting to do so, but it's pretty rare that I find myself away from a plug for eight hours.

Is wifi/3G/bluetooth on and the brightness set above 50%? Those things will suck battery life more than anything else. I personally always keep my brightness on around 50% (never need brighter than that, it actually hurts my eyes) and have always gotten more than the stated running time. That's with backgrounder running an IM client and IRC channel in the background, mail and web browsing, 3G and wifi on.

14. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You sir are my savior. Followed the steps to a T and now I have my jail broken iPad back with the 3.2 firmware.

15. powerbooks macrumors regular

Since I did not wait before finishing even the first battery running cycle to JB an iPad, I really have no idea how long it should have lasted without JB. However, my JB iPad (64+3G) will run easily more than 10 hours, close to 11 to 12 hours if I just read long time on informative websites. So I don't think JB did something bad for the battery running time.

(PS. The first 10% power drop took nearly 90 min.)

16. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Happy to be of service. :)

In other news, I just got home from the local minor league stadium where I had been watching the Nationals using MLB at Bat and Slingplayer. About 3 hours of watching video off and on, way more on than off, cost about 35% of the battery. I should be able to watch about 8-9 hours of baseball per charge which strikes me as pretty good. This was using a jailbroken iPad with wifi and bluetooth off, 3G and location services on and brightness set about 2/3 of the way up.

17. mixvio macrumors 6502

There really seems to be a problem with how the iPad reports the battery life at least from 100% onward. Mine will sit at 100% for quite a while, then it seems like the battery goes from 99 to 90 pretty fast. However if I respring while it's saying 100%, but has been on battery for an hour or so, more times than not the timer will pop up at 95 or 94.

I wonder if this plays into some people thinking that their battery is destroyed after jailbreaking.

18. powerbooks macrumors regular

I did notice the "non-linearity":)

Had tried at least three times working all the way down to 10% warning, definitely longer than 10 hours, with brief break in between, of course.:)

19. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I like how you mentioned: "at least from 100% onward", as if there is any other range?:D just made me laugh

20. mixvio macrumors 6502

Well, I mean that it sits at 100% for a very long time and then suddenly seems to jump and, at least as far as I can tell, reports the rest of the increments correctly.

But it will sit at 100% for much longer than it sits at 99 - 98, or any other number.

21. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I know what you meant, I just thought it was kinda funny. Anyway I think I have noticed this as well, although it def isn't the first device I've seen have that behavior before

22. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Perhaps the reason it drops so oddly is because Apple is using an incorrect calculation to determine the remaining battery life? <small iOS4 dig> ;)

23. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Ya, my battery is diminished quite a bit. I'm sure they will update it soon.

24. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

So basically use dfu and install 3.2 and use JB jailbreakme?

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This is an old thread. Anything said in it is now outdated.