Updated to b3, lost some photos...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gianthobbit, Jul 11, 2011.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

So before I did the update I did a full backup in iTunes. Then I restored to iTunes and none of my pictures that I took today are there...

I know this was incredibly dumb but I thought doing a full backup would protect me from this. I tried doing a restore to todays date again and none of my apps or photos are there...

What the heck!

2. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

It was a wi-fi backup...I don't think it saved anything but the most basic settings...

3. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Same thing happened to me. I'm pissed right now :mad:
    Next time I think I'll do an iCloud backup.

4. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't bother, I did that before and the backup was corrupt or something. My phone was acting very odd and I had to restore to a iTunes back up to fix it.

5. jman240 macrumors 6502a

This is why before I ever do a restore / update I copy all the photos from my phone to my computer just in case something goes wrong.

Seeing as this is beta software right now anyway doing your own backups outside the integrated system for all pertinent data is almost the first rule of beta software. I mean, if you have an app that keeps track of some data points then record those or nab a screen shot, extract photos/videos, write down settings, chock you game saves up as lost.

For future reference, when dealing with a beta, only trust the backup you control, assume the official one won't work until proven otherwise.

You could always poke through your saved backups and hope the files are there. You'll probably need special software to read them though. If windows I think irfanview works, not sure about mac. Haven't tried this but read it on these forums awhile back.

Ah, here you are: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=563459&highlight=irfanview

=)

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It's a beta :(
    Submit to Apple so they fix it.

7. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

Is there any way to recover these photos that have been stuck in the iCloud? I guess I learned my lesson...

8. leowyatt macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me. My photo stream currently has only 5 photographs in it and my iCloud account is completely empty. Which is odd considering I had used 200mb last night before I upgraded to beta 3 :/

I have learnt my lesson though, manual backups all the way, don't trust the iCloud for the time being.

9. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

"As this is beta software, it is recommended that you do not use the iCloud services to store any critical data or information. If you enable iCloud Backup, automatic backup with iTunes when syncing will be disabled. We suggest you also manually back up your device with iTunes."

"During the iOS 5 beta period, any documents stored on the servers might be purged periodically before GM. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you do not store any critical documents or information on the servers."

10. leowyatt, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

leowyatt macrumors regular

I think the thing that has caught quite a few of us out is expecting wireless syncing to backup our phones. The last backup I have was just before I turned on wifi sync even though I'd sync'd my phone daily since then. I assumed wrongly that wifi sync was also a backup

11. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Thanks for showing this to me, I'm gonna start backing up again the old way.

Fortunately, iCloud decided to play nice and all my photos appeared once it was done redownloading the apps. :D

12. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

most likely photostream had yet to be synced and it prioritized getting all your apps first

13. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

All this is exactly why devs are the only ones supposed to be using the betas. A good dev will understand not to use the beta on your main device (or understand the risks) and not to trust the betas ability to safely backup all your data.

I ran the first two betas with the full understanding I may lose all my personal data. Don't do it if you don't understand the risks.

14. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

I think a lot of us were caught off guard as the first beta was very stable. Things to pull away:

- Wi-fi backup does not back up everything (seems to backup almost nothing)
    -iCloud backup is still very buggy and not to be counted on
    - SAVE photos to another service (files/folder, iPhoto etc.)

Hard lessons for me to learn... Way to hasty when I see new betas posted to just throw them on with out taken the necessary steps.