Updated to iOS 7 on new iPhone 5 - no iWork

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by atrevers, Sep 18, 2013.

1. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

I bought an iPhone 5 last week (i.e. since the September 1st cutoff date) - so if I understand correctly, I should be seeing the free iWork message in the welcome screen for iOS 7. Sadly, I'm not. Has anybody else been able to download the apps for free?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

3. atrevers thread starter macrumors regular

atrevers

No - showing as £6.99. Appears that it'll charge me if I go through and download them.

4. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

It's only free for new phones, or those phones that have been activated after 9.1.2013. So if you bought a new 4s, or 5 and activated it on/after 9.1.2013 you get it free. The new 5c and 5s will also it free.

5. Copefree macrumors member

If you watched he keynote, Tim Cook made it clear that this suite of apps would only be available for free on 'new' devices (5c/5s).

You're out of luck with your IP5.

6. atrevers thread starter macrumors regular

atrevers

That's the thing - I did buy it after September 1st (the 13th to be precise), but I'm not being given the free download option. I installed the GM on the day I bought it, but downgraded back to 6.1.4 to do the normal OTA update in case that made the apps appear, but that doesn't seem to have worked.

7. glawrence33 macrumors member

They popped up on my iPad mini with other apple apps.

8. atrevers thread starter macrumors regular

atrevers

I didn't read it that way - why set the 1st Sept backstop when the 5C and 5S weren't available on that day? Hmm, seems a bit strange to me. Still, the fact that I have to pay would therefore appear to be evidence that you're right!

9. netsped macrumors regular

A friend bought an iPod Touch (latest generation) and asked me to update it to iOS 7 GM on sunday and I just asked her and she also can't get the apps (iWork and iLife) free.

In her iPod Touch and on my iPhone 5 (bought in May) and iPad Mini (bought in January) a modal view tries to load when we sign in but it fails to connect to the store.

Maybe they are still updating their stuff :confused:

Edit.

She bought it this past Saturday, it was brand new.

10. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

they are showing up free in my app store my iPhone 5 is launch date and I'm on iOS 7 gm still

11. atrevers thread starter macrumors regular

atrevers

Newsflash! Literally, in the last 30 seconds I've done another check and they're now showing as free - so I had read it correctly re: applying to iP5!

Like you say above, they must be updating things gradually.

Thanks all!

12. MidnightSVT macrumors member

Really?!?! They show up as $9.99 for me. I am on a 10 month old iP5 with GM 7

13. netsped macrumors regular

Did you restored and started fresh with iOS 7 GM?

14. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

if you really want them for free then jailbreak when it come to iOS 7

15. davidsdiego macrumors member

davidsdiego

16. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

you need to have bought your phone since september 1. you're 9 months too soon, out of luck.

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

Getting apss for free is not the same thing as steeling apps.

18. Brows macrumors member

Nice!!

Just had my wife's ipad in at the apple store for a wifi issue. Bought it 11 months ago. They swapped it for a new one and these apps are now free ! So if apple swaps out your device it's a new activation and they are free even if it's an older device. I'm downloading them all as I type

:)

19. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

To add to that, if you have a new device registered to an Apple account, all your other older idevice will also be able to download the free apps.

Say you have 5 iPads in the Family and all of which are using the same iTunes store ID, you bought a new iPad/iPod touch/iPhone and use the same iTunes Store ID. After claiming the free apps, other devices will be able to download it too. Pretty good deal if that's the case.

20. atrevers thread starter macrumors regular

atrevers

Yep, can confirm that worked for me on my 4S (2 years old) and iPad 3 after activating my iPhone 5.