Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
getting duplicate messages, I send a message to xxxx and I get a copy of the message from my own phone. any ideas how to shut this off?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
ok, my son sent a text just to my wife and I got a copy of it, we are NOT in group SMS
Text, or iMessage? With iMessage, that situation is easy to create if you and your wife have iPhones, and you're both signed into iMessage on your phones with the same Apple ID.

With a text message (green color), I can't think of a way that's possible.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
ok, my son sent a text just to my wife and I got a copy of it, we are NOT in group SMS

----------

I will have to check her phone when I get home to see if we are linked.

You definitely are. You can all share an Apple ID for iTunes purchases, but you will each need your own iCloud accounts. If the three of you have iPhones and are getting each others' messages, it's because of having one iCloud account between the three of you. Or at least you and your wife most likely are using the same iCloud account.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You definitely are. You can all share an Apple ID for iTunes purchases, but you will each need your own iCloud accounts.
I agree. Share the same Apple ID for iTunes/App stores, but use unique Apple IDs for iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
You definitely are. You can all share an Apple ID for iTunes purchases, but you will each need your own iCloud accounts. If the three of you have iPhones and are getting each others' messages, it's because of having one iCloud account between the three of you. Or at least you and your wife most likely are using the same iCloud account.

I agree. Share the same Apple ID for iTunes/App stores, but use unique Apple IDs for iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime.

ok, I will look into it, we all use the same iTunes account (mine), I never had this issue until I updated to IOS 7.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
ok, I will look into it, we all use the same iTunes account (mine), I never had this issue until I updated to IOS 7.
It's not required to sign into iMessages using your Apple ID -- you can just use your phone number. Maybe something in the iOS 7 update signed you in (using the Apple ID your family shares) for the first time ever.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Go into the settings app, then in Messages and into Send & Receive. Make sure that all of you only use their phone number to receive texts. And new conversations should also be started from your respective phone numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.