Updated to IOS and deleted voice messages - pls help to get back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rarchy, Apr 12, 2014.

1. rarchy macrumors newbie

I just updated my iphone (4S) from IOS 6 to IOS 7 finally (couldnt do it before because there wasn't enough space but I deleted a load of photos)

When i looked through to check all was the same I found it had deleted a load of voicemails - some of these voicemails were old but they were not deleted (ie they were still on the main voicemail screen, not the deleted folder). They went back to early 2012. I dont care about most of them, but there were two on there from my Dad and he died last year so they are really really precious to me. I never knew how to save them to my computer and figured they would be on my laptop on the form of a restore if I ever lost my phone.

I did restore my phone one last time just before I updated it and when I tried to back up from restore it says there isnt enough space - I guess because the new software takes up the space?

I dont know what to do but I need these messages back - I am crying at the thought of never hearing my dads voice again.

I am so annoyed as it did not warn it would do this.

Please help

Thanks

Rachel

----------

By the way the "deleted messages" is not there on visual voicemail, just 6 or so recent ones

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Do you have a backup of the phone you made before you upgraded?

If so you can use iBackupBot or several others "backup exploration" tools to extract the voicemails.

http://www.icopybot.com/blog/transfer-voicemails-from-iphone-to-pc-mac-without-jailbreaking.htm

Instructions are there, do NOT do the first backup step if you haven't already, though. You don't want to overwrite your old backup with the voicemails. You may have to go back in Time Machine or other backups to find a backup with the voicemails if you overwrote it.

3. rarchy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded a few different ones, some free which couldn't find any voicemails and some you had to pay for but there was not was of knowing if they'd work. In the end I opted for iexplorer which was $35 and to my relief it worked and I have the voice messages back :)

It's a very handy piece of software and I will use it to extract other important bits.

I really don't see why iTunes or Apple don't enable this anyway. When restoring from a back-up once purely to get numbers back (because my iPhone randomly deleted them) I didn't realise it would overwrite everything (although it warns you it will replace various bits it did not state photos) and so I lost a load of stuff. I don't see why there isn't a function just to add certain bits from a restore with iTunes