Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Hi guys wondering if you can help?
I have just updated to iOS4 on my 8gb 3G and the only noticeable difference i can see is that i can put all my apps in category boxes of there own and thats it.Nothing else has changed.I don,t have the 5x camera zoom and i can,t have a homescreen background either etc etc.
Is this because its just the 3G?
Can anyone help me on this please?
I have gone into settings but nothing new in there either,so iam puzzled by this.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
It's because it's a two year old piece of tech so no longer fully supports all the features found in iOS 4.

Have you thought about jailbreaking to get these features?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
iPhone 3G (not 3GS, 3G) has the camera zoom.

When you open the camera, tap on the image displayed and the zoom slider will not appear.

iOS4 was required to run on the iPhone 3G because up until a few short weeks ago it was still current hardware, sold alongside the 3GS.

It is, however, the same processor, RAM and various other bits of hardware as the original iPhone which was excluded from upgrading to iOS4.

Background apps may run and you may get background wallpaper by jailbreaking however the experience won't be the same as on newer hardware supporting all of iOS4's features.

Not better, not necessarily worse, just different.

cleggster83

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Bolton, UK
Hi guys wondering if you can help?
I have just updated to iOS4 on my 8gb 3G and the only noticeable difference i can see is that i can put all my apps in category boxes of there own and thats it.Nothing else has changed.I don,t have the 5x camera zoom and i can,t have a homescreen background either etc etc.
Is this because its just the 3G?
Can anyone help me on this please?
I have gone into settings but nothing new in there either,so iam puzzled by this.

Your best off Jail breaking the 3G device now. the feature you get can match that of the 3GS and iPhone 4. If you have a look on youtube theres loads of videos of mulit tasking on a 3g device and it looks great. i did the same till i got iPhone 4:)

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Thanks to you all guys for replies.
I have looked into it a bit more today and actually have cam zoom and other various things but no background wallpaper but thats not the end of the world really.Would be upgrading soon hopefully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.