Updated to Mavericks, lost file kept in Library/Application Support/

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by redrighthand, Feb 4, 2014.

1. redrighthand macrumors newbie

This weekend, I finally updated my MacBook from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to Mavericks 10.9.

I had foolishly kept a password-protected .dmg file containing personal data in the Library/Application Support/ folder. I'm kind of paranoid about my personal data and I guess I felt it was safer there than in the Documents folder or something.

Obviously, the OS update updated the folder that it was in. The file is no longer there and it no longer appears as a volume in Disk Utility. The file came to several GB in total and that space is still taken up on the hard drive, which suggests that the file is there somewhere.

Is it possible to retrieve this .dmg file? I'd really appreciate any help or advice.

Many thanks,
    John

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

open Terminal

Type:
    sudo find /volumes/Macintosh\ HD/ -name "*.dmg"

If you know the actual exact name of the DMG file, even better

3. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Download Grand Perspective (free). Have it scan the HD, it will show files based on size in a bar/boxed design. Mouse over the boxes until you see the name of the DMG, control-click, then Reveal in Finder.

Hope that helps!

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

hmmm...you left an important file in a system-level folder, and updated your system.

what about a backup? time machine, or...? seems your best bet. easyfind is also a good app for finding anything anywhere (IF the dmg is still on your drive).

5. mikecwest, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

did you look in the "previous system folder" folder?

Lets hope you did not do an "erase and install."

If you would like to hide something better, put it inside of a folder add a "." at the beginning of the folder name. Then you can toggle "show hidden files" on and off to show/hide it. name it something scary sounding to make anybody less likely to touch it like ".BS_STORE.NOINDEX"

of course you don't want your private files to be indexed, do you? ( .noindex)

of course, give all of the files scary sounding unix type names.