Updated version 5.2.0 Nike+Run Club App

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Long Run Nick, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Long Run Nick macrumors regular

Updated last night. Did a solid effort 8 miler this morning. Battery drain seemed to be about the same. One of the fixes/additions was improved battery life. This was w/o my phone- my norm. Was doing a cool down walk with my dog, approaching my house on our return- near wifi- the NRC popped up on my watch and ask me if I was going to run today:)
    I like the app- HR may be a little lower than my Garmin would show for the same run/effort/temp. Distance was spot on! I ignore the actual pace and have it set to announce each mile and average pace for the whole run. Very accurate.
    Thanks to deedawg picked up the Run Gap app which it makes very ez to flip my run to Garmin Connect. No longer need to run with 2 watches. Will still use my 235 for "serious" runs.
    Have run over 270 miles with the AW2 and wish they would drop actual pace in favor of lap pace on the watch and announce average run pace with each mile.
    Never considered the AW2 a go to running watch, I am being won over. Nick

2. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Nice writeup. I really like the AW Series 2 and the app, though I still prefer to run most times with my Garmin.

I agree with you about pace. I'd love to be able to see lap pace on the AW, especially during my easy runs as I tend to take them too fast.

One thing that hasn't worked well for me is RunGap. I've been able to transfer a Nike+ run (or even Workout run) to Garmin and Strava, but I've never been able to get the map/route to transfer. Not sure if I'm missing a setting. Any suggestions?

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Hey Nick, do you run with a BT heart rate montor, or just the HR sensor on the watch itself?

I've been having problems getting the BT strap to connect properly and I'm hoping 5.2 fixes some of these issues.

4. bunglex macrumors newbie

Hey Nick, I've run twice untethered however no GPS data uploaded To Nike+. I am missing a step when starting a run without phone.

5. ctg7w6 macrumors 6502

I have a question! Just got an Apple Watch yesterday and went for a run with Nike Run Club. For the life of me I could not figure out how to play music directly from that app. It just says there is no playlist.

I am running without my phone and with bluetooth headphones. I have a playlist on my Apple Watch. In the end I played music in the Music app and just used Nike for the GPS run.

How the heck do I play music directly from the app? For some reason also, the music cut in and out really badly and I attributed it to the Nike app and music coming from a different app, but I have no idea.

Any thoughts? Thanks everybody!

6. Long Run Nick thread starter macrumors regular

I rarely look at the map, because most of my routes are basically routes I have run for the last 30 years. I just checked the RunGap app, each of my runs has the map of the routes I run. Just check Garmin Connect, route map is there also.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    I run with just the HR from the AW2. My "serious" runs- which are now few and far in between I use my Garmin and their Ant + HR strap. I gave away a Polar BT strap awhile back so I don't have one. I noted on Clever Training or HRMUSA they were selling for around $47. You will probably get a more accurate HR using a chest strap. Rereading I see you have the BT strap already. Can't help you with that.
    I have found if you contact Nike+Run Club they are very helpful.

7. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Others have reported you need to start the music in the music App and switch to Nike App for the run. The music will continue to play, but you have to switch back and forth between the apps if you want to skip songs, etc.

On the music cutting in and out, I experienced the same issue with my AW S0 until I moved the BT receiver and my Watch onto the same side of my body. I know it sounds strange, but if the BT receiver on your headset is on the right side, you need to wear your Watch on the right arm. :rolleyes: (There is a whole thread on this topic somewhere...)

I did not believe it myself until I swapped my Watch to my other arm and my music played perfectly from that point forward. The theory is your head is a large enough mass to block the BT signal from the relatively low powered BT radio on the Watch and it works better without the signal passing through your head. Give it a try and let us know if it helps.