updated version of the 3g iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MicahFreak82, Jun 11, 2008.

1. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

I am extremely disappointed about this iPhone as i know that most of you are as well. My question is when do you think apple will release an updated version of the 3g iphone. Do you think that apple will mid year release a version with maybe a 32gb hd and something else. or will everyone have to wait for a full year to see what is in store for the next iphone. I didn't purchase the 2.5g iphone because at the time it wasn't worth it. Now i don't want to regret getting this iphone if apple may release a better one with a updated camera and 32gb hd in december. So what are your thoughts? December/January expect a worthwhile update or not until next july. remember that apple did release a 16gb in november along with a price cut.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You know that huh :rolleyes:

I'd fully expect to see a 32GB before christmas, and would expect a full revision of the handset in 12-18 months.

Of course, my expectations and reality could be quite different.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

thats a pretty bold assertion.

What if you wait until December time and there is no update, then you will wait until July because there will be a better one, where does it end.

Yes we will see updates the question is "is the iPhone as it is now good enough for you" if yes then buy, if no then wait. Don't think about what might come.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dude, get out from under that black cloud! You might be waiting another two years before Apple satisfies your appetite. It sounds like you've missed the bus, waiting for the "ultimate iPhone." That's OK by me, b/c I'm one of those "others" that actually enjoys the ride offered by v1 iPhone. What I don't understand is your disappointment in something you've never experienced; be it the v1 8GB or v1 16GB, you will always be on the outside, looking in! Why don't you just take the leap and enjoy the ride, or you can stand on the sidelines and cheer and jeer; either way I have no pity for your present situation. Wait, look up, the sky is falling! LOL :eek::p

6. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

+1

It's kinda like when people spend 8 months looking at HDTVs because they want to get the best one. They compare look at different models...

"This one has artifacts in action scenes."
    "This one gets cloudy on dark scenes."
    "But a new one might be coming out soon that does X and Y!!"

And when it comes down to it, they've missed out on 8 months of enjoying HDTV.

My advice, just take the plunge. You won't regret it. I paid $600 for my iPhone and I've loved every minute of it. No regrets even when they dropped the price. If it came out today and was $600, I'd get it again.

7. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

And that is something you very rarely hear about a phone, most people want to smash the s**t out of their phone after 6 months max, I know I did (and still do). Seems like most people still love their first gen iPhone, a year on, and I'm sure most people will do too with the 3G iPhone.

8. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Agreed. Every other phone I've ever had (about 6 different models) I've replaced at about 1 year. I'm so sick of them I want to crush them with a steamroller.

I wouldn't mind keeping this phone forever...;)

9. xploit macrumors regular

iPhone fans come in 2 flavors as of now. Those that think the new 3G is what was to be expected and those, like me, that think this new 3g model is a step down (other than the increase in speed) Is the 3G junk? No I don't think so I think it is more of a lateral move than an upgrade.

X-

10. mark34 macrumors 6502a

As others have stated, I think your assumption is miles off. Even within this community i believe it is not true. Widen the pool to the whole market and I believe that the "extremely disappointed" crowd is a blip. It is a nice upgrade. Don't like it? Don't buy it. There will be a new one next year and perhaps a capacity increase midyear.

11. xploit macrumors regular

Thats really what gets me. Maybe it's fanboy mentality but how can you really be ok with a new iPhone that took a year to come out, has gone plastic, still can't do pic messages or video is faster for browsing but will cost you 360$ more per year to do so even though it already had wifi and edge. All im saying is that as a business apple is there to make money and this phone will definitely accomplish both much better than the original. As a consumer all im getting is a more profitable product for apple. Yes it has GPS and yes it's faster internet speed but is that really worth $360 more per year??? Im sticking with my original which im betting will have the more sophisticated feel. I have said it before and I will again .Apple has definitely paved the way for a higher end model that I will be very interested in if it should ever appear.

X-

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Where are you getting $360 per year? Compared to the EDGE iPhone, you're paying a total of $40 extra over the course of two years, because the price of the phone itself has decreased by $200.

Plastic was used for reception issues. 2G+3G+GPS = no metal enclosure.

You guys are absurd.

13. xploit macrumors regular

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hardly a fanboy, douchebag. I don't even own an iPhone. We're talking about a hardware refresh that added much-requested features to the phone and improved overall performance, as well as dropping the price of the device itself by half, not a complete redesign that promised a revolutionary leap forward. Other phone companies have STILL not caught up to the iPhone in terms of overall ease of use, and this refresh has only served to maintain the gulf.

They didn't promise innovation with this update. They promised 3G. And they delivered it.

G-

15. alFR macrumors 68020

Well, the last paragraph of the article does say:

Did you read to the end, or did the big words hurt too much?

16. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Since this is one of the few parts where someone attempts to answer the OP's question about how long it will be before a refresh, I have to say I disagree.

The 3G iPhone is pretty clearly the "1.0" version of the iPhone, (the aluminium one being really more like a beta product). It is going to market lacking features that it's closest 3 or 4 competitors have in their smart-phones or having those features in a "not as good" way. It stands to reason that it will of necessity be updated very soon indeed or Apple's investors will start to freak out.

Even if we assume that Apple will follow the example of it's other mobile products, it's likely that within half a year there will be colour upgrades and memory upgrades and since this one is being released on the 1 year anniversary of the previous model, the most likely scenario is that the next one will be released a year later. The cell market is much faster and less forgiving than the computer market. If Apple waits for even 18 months they are playing with fire, two years and they might as well leave the market.

If on the other hand we assume that Apple wants to be aggressive, we might even see a second iPhone model in 6 months time IMO.

17. xploit macrumors regular

Theres nothing wrong with being a fanboy you just lack objectivity. Yes I read the whole article but seriously all im saying is that this phone comes up short. The mobile phone industry DOES move much faster and innovates with every step and while the iPhone is ahead of it's time in some ways it's not. I feel that, in the absence of an upgraded model before the holidays, they have become somewhat complacent. In my opinion the trade off for going plastic was two part. They say it improves reception for the GPS and it is definitely cheaper. I don't think either was worth going plastic but that is just my opinion. Theres no way holding the original and then holding the new 3G that one feels upgraded. So what you get is really what is most perceived and that is a price cut. Im sure the price cut makes a lot of people happy I just think that trying to win the market game in the cell phone business is a very risky venture. Apple should just stick to high quality and cutting edge design with cell phones.

X-

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Okay, so there's nothing wrong with being a fanboy. That still doesn't mean I am one. :)

And let me know if this phone comes up short against other devices in the $199 range. Really.

I mean, I understand what you're getting at, but I'm convinced that the plastic casing is a necessary evil on behalf of improved reception (one of the biggest faults people found with the first generation product). The increased number of chips in the phone that REQUIRE reception only furthers that necessity. Believe me, I'd love to see a radio-transparent metal backing, but I just don't think it's going to happen. At least, not yet.

That they were able to add 3G and GPS, keep battery life parity with 2G, maintain internal volume, and reduce the price is enough of an update for me. I'll give them another year for the giant leaps.

19. MicahFreak82 thread starter macrumors member

okay...okay...

So i guess that i will jump in and get the iphone. and i guess since i can get some type of discount from at&t it won't be that much more. I will just hate myself if apple releases a revolutionary iphone around December and i am stuck with this outdated product released in July. not saying that it will be outdated in 6 months. I just don't like seeing that some new thing has been released just before i make a huge purchase and commitment. Why couldn't apple just have squished in a 5mp camera, stereo bluetooth, and 32gb hd. am i asking for too much apple. I am happy about the 3g cause that is why i didn't purchase the first iphone but honestly it took you a year to only give me 3g and gps. what it the world comming too.
    and where is the mactablet or macbook updates. my intel core duo macbook's life is comming to an end. really cause it doesn't have a n-wireless.

20. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Welcome to technology. Moore's Law...

On the camera, maybe. That isn't their main concern. Think of it like a small computer with phone and camera capabilities.

On the HD...maybe they didn't think enough of a market would be there for it.

They explained the problems before as to why they didn't include it. Maybe it took them a little while to work out the kinks. Someone else said this in another thread and I'll repeat it here. Think of the first version as a beta. The new one is V1 of the iPhone.

A) Mactablet is a rumor. There has been no credible evidence to support one is being released.
    2) They just gave us multitouch trackpads on the Macbooks 3 months ago...calm down.
    D) 802.11n isn't finalized and won't be until next spring. To say your computer is coming to end of life because it doesn't support a standard that is still in draft stages is greatly stretching things.

21. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Crazy to try to compare Apple to Motorola, by saying that they will fall into the trap of the Razr. Apple did lower the price, by taking away their cut from the Monthly Service Fee. But Apple does have something else in their disposal, unlike Motorola, Apple will continue to receive derivatives by the increase in iPhone Sales through the 30% cut in Applications and Services like MobileMe. It is this fact that I believe Apple is pursuing instead of the Market Share Trap which Motorola fell into after the RAZR.

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Here's a concept. Own a v1 iPhone then talk to me about short comings. This is the most brilliant purchase I've ever made. Upgrades/updates are always welcome and my wallet will open everytime. I may run out of family members to hand-me-down all the iPhones LOL.

I haven't heard if the architecture consists of one 16gb chip or two 8gb chips; if its the latter we will have a 32gb by Christmas.

23. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I don't get the moaning at all. If you don't want the new one don't buy it!!!
    I love my phone, had it since UK launch and will buy the new one. To call it a phone to me is unfair. Its my mac in my pocket.
    And I dont care if I'm a fanboy!!!!!!!!!!

24. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It's interesting that the mods don't merge the "I am so disappointed by the new iPhone because..." threads.

Oh, BTW, to the OP, it is mid-year now. LOL.

25. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Ah, now I know what it's all about. OK... if we tell you that you are more sophisticated with version one iPhone, will you be ok?
    :D