Updated white macbook for DAW

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by runonthespot, Jan 28, 2009.

1. runonthespot macrumors member

Hi all,

Presumably the newly updated white macbook would make a decent cheap DAW laptop for logic et al? Are there any issues with using this as a DAW / live use music laptop that you could think of? I'm not concerned with the screen size / case strength / slightly slower processor than Macbook pro (I think 2 ghz, 1066 FSB should be sufficient for most DAW applications?). I'd previously eliminated macbooks due to missing FW since the big aluminium update...

Thanks!
    Mike
    (A PC user seriously considering Mac)

2. SigmundFraud macrumors member

Fine.

Should be more than fine. Seriously consider an external HD if you're doing more than a few audio tracks.

3. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

I think it would be more than capable for most audio tasks, I use my macbook for home recording and also plan to use it to start djing and live synth work.

to be honest though, I wish I'd forked out for a mbp. mainly to use mainstage and the extra processing power wouldn' hurt. with the MacBook I'd definitely consider maxing out the ram

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

the 5400 rpm drive will probably be too slow, and you could always do with the most ram you can get. but both of those things aren't too hard to fix.

5. CalumC macrumors regular

I've got the early 08 white macbook, its coping very nicely with logic, mainstage and reason 4. Should be more than capable of most things.

6. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

5400RPM drives could be able to handle a bunch of live tracks. 7200 would be better for sure, but I don't think it would be necessary.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

but if it's live, i wouldn't risk it...
    i know this is more an extreme case, but Radiohead has to MBPs open on the same thing when doing live stuff, in case one totally crashes.

8. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

yeah, i keep my macbook in pretty good condition ie keeping the system nice and lean and clean, but would always be worried about it crashing or something. cant really afford a second macbook next to me, but maybe a cd in the cd deck ready to be played in an emergency?