Updates Avail and you will do this

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by palmharbor, Jun 23, 2013.

1. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how to cancel "updates available" it seems that apple is demanding we update as there is no cancel. I do not want to mess with any app or the OS, if its not broken I don't want to fix it.:confused:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Updates often add enhancements; however, I've never seen a forced update from the MAS. I've seen a nag screen and had to cancel though. That's just my experience.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Have you tried unchecking "Automatically check for updates"?

I have the exact opposite reaction as you. I want my machine continuously update as often as possible. For me... I think it keeps my machine working smoother.

I also LOVE the fact that the MAS applications now update automatically... rather than the old way of requesting an update at the worst possible instant... when you want to use it. For that reason... I have a very strong preference to now purchase apps from the MAS whenever possible.

/Jim

Attached Files:

4. palmharbor thread starter macrumors 6502

slide

Figured it out...grab w/mouse and slide off the screen. Amazed that some of you do not get this message in the upper right hand of the screen as I did today. I still believe, if the updates are not for applications that you are concerned with: apple mail, copy paste, address book...I PASS

5. onekerato macrumors regular

On a related note, another good reason to purchase from Mac App Store are the generous licensing terms i.e. MAS purchase allows you to install the app on all your Macs. In contrast, when you purchase expensive apps like Scrivener and ScreenFlow direct from the developer, you're usually restricted to two activations.

Jose
    www.onekerato.com

6. palmharbor thread starter macrumors 6502

Buy?

7. flynz4, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

flynz4 macrumors 68040

Like you, I only want apps that have value to me... and prefer my machines to remain as clean and lean as possible. I am very discriminatory about what apps I'll add to my machines... generally choosing higher quality and higher rated apps... and especially those with a great reputation of support. I am generally somewhat "price insensitive" and would prefer to pay more, rather than have an inferior product. Some software (ex: Adobe) has pushed my limits to the point that I may disengage.

Where we differ is your comment: "if something is not broken, why fix it". If an update is available... then I interpret that as "something is broken".

I also care about licensing terms. Paying the developer is clearly necessary to continue having my chosen apps evolve, improve, and be supported. That is worth a lot to me, so I will abide by the developer's licensing policy... and I agree with Jose that it is another benefit of buying from the MAS. My family has 4 iMacs, and 4 MBAs (soon to be 5). Even though we do not all need (or use) every app... it is a great deal that several of us can choose to legally install a MAS application that is useful.

/Jim