Updates Available - irritating, no "details" option

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by smithrh, Nov 23, 2013.

1. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

As I write this, I'm being nagged by a notification in Mavericks that's different from before:

"Updates Available: Do you want to install the updates now or try tonight?"

The options available are: "Install" and "Later." "Later" turns out to only have 3 options: "Try in an hour" "Try Tonight" and "Remind Me Tomorrow."

As someone who's been in computing (personal and professional) for a very long time, this bugs me.

What the heck happened to the "Details" button? I don't install *anything* *ever* without knowing what's being installed and why.

Not pleased.

I wasn't happy after my iPad 3 also had iOS 7 rammed on it without permission as well. This isn't as bad, but it's not far from it either.

It's not like the updates being offered are critical either - it's a RAW update and the new iWork suite.

2. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

Though you can't see it within a notification; you can still see details within the Mac App Store itself.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've been meaning to make a thread about this; it annoys me too. I'd love to see a "details" option return because like you I don't want to install things without knowing what they do. While it's possible to open the App Store and look in there, it does seem like a step backwards.

Presumably you can still right-click updates in the App Store and choose to ignore them (and therefore stop the prompt) but I haven't tested this yet.

4. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

Yes, I look at the App Store - but this makes it a two-step process, and more importantly, I worry that Apple is:

• Conditioning people to accept updates blindly (two choice, now or later)

• Trying to pump up stats for upgrades

Both are very slippery slopes.

I especially don't want iWork apps updated right now, as I'm heavy into a campaign that relies on Pages. Having functionality change due to an upgrade could be a real problem for us.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I agree, a "details" button would be nice. In my case the other day, I went to the app store and it wouldn't let me click on ANY of the buttons at the top so I could move to the updates section. This was on my work Mac, I haven't investigated it further.

6. kushsolitary macrumors newbie

Did you try clicking on the notification itself? It opens up MAS with updates tab selected.

7. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

...and starts installing the updates, at least one time in my experience.

8. TheBacklash macrumors regular

TheBacklash

Not only these reasons.. But I hadn't updated iTunes on my MBP yet.. (hasn't been in wifi range, or when it has.. I wasn't using it)
    So I have the MBP on today.. playing iTunes Radio.

iTunes updates WHILE i'm playing music.. shutdown iTunes without warning and updates. Took me a second to figure out why iTunes just crashed.. :mad:

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You can prevent that from happening. In System Prefs, find the App Store panel Adjust to your liking. You should have also been prompted to set this up either on your first boot of Mavericks or the first time you opened the MAS after updating to Mavericks.

10. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I agree. Sometimes I wonder how things like this make it through the design process.

But, then again, I know several people on Mountain Lion who never install the updates, let alone check the details of them.

11. TheBacklash macrumors regular

TheBacklash

Yeah I did have it set to auto update, but it's the point that it updated *while* I was using that app. IMO that should never happen.

No warning or anything, just closes iTunes while playing a song.
    I've turned all auto updates off for now hoping that this is just a bug/error and should not have happened.
    PinPoint updates for example always gives me a popup saying I need to quit the app before it can be updated.. iTunes just updated anyway.

12. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'm also going to turn off updates via the App Store sys preferences pane.

I'm here (MacRumors) enough to learn of important updates pretty quickly without being pestered by notifications repeatedly.

While this is a viable workaround, I don't consider it a fix.

If these notifications are working as designed, the the design needs to be changed.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just got an update notification and clicking the bubble itself, not the buttons, did not automatically download the update. It worked exactly as the old "Details" button did. It's interesting that it didn't for you.

If this works reliably then I'm happy, but it's concerning that it still auto-installed on your system.

14. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

Well, I turned off all of the automatic updating App Store preferences for the time being so it's not bothering me.

Since we have a fairly imminent 10.9.1 update coming, when that comes out I'll re-enable the updates and have my screen recording app at the ready, I want to capture what happens.

Apple bug reports now can have multimedia files and other attachments easily included so I'm itching to try that too!