Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aravis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
After installing some updates, I have had the following problems. itunes and ichat keep reverting back to their original settings whenever I restart the computer. The settings page/instructions pops up and itunes tells me that the library was damaged. It all started after I installed the updates, I'm afraid I don't remember which ones. My keychain also seems damaged as every single time I start safari it tells me that the "keychain login cannot be found to store safari." After I reset to defaults, it happens again and again. How can I fix this? Thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There haven't been any recent updates from Apple of core components... what exactly did you update? Try harder to remember. Did it come from Apple or someone else?

Did the keychain issue begin when you did the updates?

What was the result of verifying the disk from Disk Utility -- pass or fail?

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
You might also try deleting the preference files for the programs. If they keep reverting to default after launching, it sounds like the prefs file isn't writing the new prefs.

As to the damaged iTunes library, try deleting (or moving to the desktop) the iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes Library files and re-creating the library (re-add all the music). Unfortunately, you'd have to recreate all the playlists. See if that does it.

raindog2042

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
damaged key chain

hi there
I also just had the same problem, may keychain file was damaged after downloading the last itunes and security update,lost my itune librar, safari that sounded the alarm about the keychain and on top of that the two words files i was working on when i downloaded and installed the updates were rewriten or writen over with information from itunes. i discovered that when i opened my the two files contaning two papers i was working on for the last two weeks. i hate itunes now. i used keychain first aid to repair the damaged keychain but it basicaly created a newone with a different name.Home directory is /Users/xxxx
Checked login keychain
Keychain ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain appears to be damaged
Renamed /Users/xxxx/Library/Keychains/login.keychain to /Users/xxxx/Library/Keychains/login_renamed.keychain
Created login keychain
Checked password for ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Checked settings for ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Settings for ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain may cause the keychain to be locked
Current values: lockOnSleep=yes, autoLock=5 mins
Settings corrected on ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Checked default keychain
Checked keychain search list
Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/Microsoft_Intermediate_Certificates
Problems successfully repaired
Repair completed
is there anyway to recover the info that was in my keychain passwords and such
would appreciate any feedback

wmreeder

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
key chain login not found to store safari

I am having this problem as well, and I believe it is linked to downloads in itunes too. I'm a novice - and at the beginning. But, everytime I use one of my programs (mail, entourage, safari, etc.) I am forced to reenter the password. It also asks if I want to restore default settings or not. It's really annoying. I went into the various settings suggested to others - but so far don't seem to have found the path to recovery. Is this a problem in my computer or in safari? Thanks for anyone's help. Bill

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Run the COMBO update for your OS, whether it's 10.4.11 or 10.5.6, restart, reset keychain, restart for safe measure and see what happens.

wmreeder

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
How

OK - I did. I still got the error message when I signed on to Safari. But - I also don't know how to reset the keychain. Advice? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.