updates from old owner? How to get rid of them

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doobybiggs, Aug 10, 2012.

1. doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

I keep getting the software needs updating popups, but they are from software from the previous owner ... I have no idea how it is still on there as I have fresh installed everything with my own hard drive (bought my MBP without a hard drive) Early 2011 model .... the picture below are his two software things trying to update. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Hm, that doesn't make much sense. So you bought a MBP without a drive. You installed your own drive and installed an OS on there with only your applications. The drive you installed wasn't pre-owned or anything?

3. philMBP macrumors 6502

Previous owner's account in App Store / App Store detecting matched + installed software. App Store does not update software that is not installed.

However as SumoHamster has said, this doesn't make much sense.
    Your install is obviously not clean. Can you confirm if these two apps are installed?

Oh, and Final Cut Pro?? :eek: Umm, I wouldn't complain :cool:

4. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I bought a MB last December that had a lot of purchased apps already. Most of them were worthless to me and they kept showing as updates. I simply deleted them and no more updates showed up.

You obviously did not do a fresh instal which would have removed all previous apps.

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

More often the thing that causes these ghost updates to appear are cracked apps. For example certain dodgy copies of Final Cut Pro will cause Angry Birds updates to appear in the Mac App Store.

I'm not saying you have and it may be some other issue entirely, but if you do have any dodgy software on your computer I would remove it, as that is usually the cause of this.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Any references ? Never heard before ... At least I can't remember.

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Google for "angry birds update final cut pro" there are lots of results.

Here's just one example from Apples Support Communities How to remove angry birds from update list in app store?.

There are some other updates which seem to correspond to other cracked apps, I seem to remember a Nyancat game update appears if you install a dodgy version of some game. Though the dodgy Final Cut Pro, Angry Birds update seems to be the most common.

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Thanks; I stopped being concerned when read in the support note: .ru. Once installed dodgy fishy software I expect everything to happen. I thought there was some risk for regular user. Never mind. Thanks for the link though.

9. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

nope neither are installed .... hmmm maybe my clean install was not clean?

Mac OS tricked me I guess .... I will retry it and see if that helps get rid of all the extra apps.

10. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Did you buy the hard drive from someone, or was it brand new out of the package? It sounds like it was someone else's hard drive and when you installed ML it did the default upgrade.

11. philMBP macrumors 6502

Mac OS tricked you? You bought a used HD and the differences between upgrade and clean installs are quite clear and well documented :rolleyes:

12. SMcCandlish macrumors newbie

How to get rid of such stuff

1) Follow the hints here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4301699?start=15&tstart=0

2) If that fails (e.g. if there is no evidence anywhere on your system of the offending app), you have pirated software on your system (whether you installed it or not - no accusation intended) in which someone put their own Apple Store "receipt" file from a valid app into one they didn't pay for to trick the system into thinking it was paid for. The way to track this down:

2a) Launch the Terminal.
    2b) Type: "locate _MASReceipt/" (without the quotation marks) and press Return (Enter).
    2c) That gives you a list of installed apps that came from, or have been faked to appear to have come from, the Apple Store. Compare this list to the list in the Apple Store application under Purchases.
    2d) Make a short list of those which appear in the "locate" list but not the real App Store list; in the App Store application, select Store -> Sign In, login with that, then pick Store -> View My Account, then (after App Store makes you login again for no reason) select View Hidden Purchases, and eliminate any apps that appear here from your short list of suspect apps.
    2e) If your suspects list is just one app, trash that and reboot.
    2f) Otherwise open (in a text editor) the receipt file in the _MASReceipt folder inside the application bundle (e.g. /Applications/FooBarBazQuux.app/Contents/_MASReceipt/receipt) of each suspect app in turn, and look for text strings, such as an app name, publisher name, user ID, or other telltale content that has something to do with the app you can't update or get rid of and nothing to do with the app in which you found that receipt file. When you find the culprit app, trash it and reboot.