Updates on when Iphone "pay as you go" will be released

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ishopukisfake, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

I'm considering ordering an iphone without contract from another country, but not sure whether to hold off until it comes out here in the uk.
    o2 site is saying it will be released "later this year" and I've heard of reports of before christmas

Would appreciate any more news if anyone has it about when it is coming out.

2. HeavenDivine macrumors member

ohmac.co.uk have starting shipping. when they allow you to buy off their website again you should get one off there, it will be a longer wait for the payg o2. aparently, its going to cost £299.99 for the 8gb and £369.99 for the 16gb. o2 put the information up and then removed it from their website.

I would say definatly find a way of getting one without a contract, since they are such a rip off.

3. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

How can you call the iphone a rip off. It costs £35 a month with 500 minutes and 600 texts. It also comes with unlimited data usage and access to lots of wifi spots. This is more than I get with any other good reliable provider. And spending either £99 or £159 for a revolutionary phone is definately worth it. You try finding any other phone that compacts so many features into one phone as standard.

Apple have made a huge effort to create such a supurb phone. Although there were a lot of issues with the software on version 2.0 but these have mainly been sorted. Still not as fast as version 1.1.4 at all.

4. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

With today's conversion rate that is $68.1765 USD. Does that £35 include VAT and all other fees? If so that is a better deal than the 450 minutes / unlimited data for $69 in the US.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah it includes all taxes, VAT, etc. All consumer prices in the UK must be shown as the "fully inclusive" price which is a lot better than the US system IMO

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes, that £35 includes VAT. Also remember, in the UK you don't get charged for incoming calls and texts

7. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, that sounds interesting ohmac.co.uk - Anyone know about this site, wether it is legit or not?

http://www.ohmac.co.uk/iphone/iphone.php

The "whois" details look more credible, but I did a search of the registers post code and its coming up with a church in liverpool.

They seem to be a registered business though - anyone know if the phones are already unlocked?

8. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

Ah never mind they're all out of stock anyway

9. HeavenDivine macrumors member

O2 PAYG UNLIMITED:

£15 topup a month. Activates:

Unlimited Calls to O2 Phones
    Unlimited Texts to O2 Phones
    You still have the remaining £15 Calltime

Get the unlimited web and wifi bolt on for £10.

The bolt on is taken out of your balance, leaving you with £5 to spend on anything.

Texts are 10p to other networks, on contract they are 12p.
    Calls are 20p for the first 3 minutes, then 5p/pm for the rest of the day to other networks, on contract they are 20p.

On the minimun simplicity plan of £15 a month, to get the unlimited wifi, you have to add the £10 bolt on ontop of the monthly fee, working out to be £25 per month. Not forgetting you only get a certain small ammount of texts and calls.

All in all... For £15 PAYG a month you are left with:

Unlimited Calls to O2 Phones
    Unlimited Texts to O2 Phones
    Unlimited Web and Wifi
    £5 Calltime Balance
    Cheaper Calls to other networks than Contracts
    Cheaper Texts to other networks than Contracts

And you are not stuck in a contract, isnt that good?

Contract = RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. M-X macrumors member

This is the deal I have - it works quite nicely - I even get an extra £5 credit a month for 6 months for having ported over my no to o2.

However, the call rates to other networks are now 25p/minute on O2 Unlimited, and don't reduce over the day. Also you pay for voicemail (no visual of course) and calls to customer service. So only a good deal if you call/text O2 numbers only. http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/paygo/talkalot

For this month o2 are offering a really good 30-day simplicity plan - for £20 you can have:

600 any network; any time minutes
    1000 texts to any network
    unlimited edge/ 3g data
    free voicemail (non visual)
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/SIMONL..._25?cm_re=consumerarea-_-leftbox-_-Simplicity

IMHO could be the best deal for EDGE iphone users in the uk at the mo, unlocked or otherwise. Lose wi-fi, but then cloud never seems to be where i need it.

M-X

11. zign macrumors 6502

zign

That's only when you use all of your inclusive text. Right? And that includes texts to other networks.

Again, the same as above. Including other networks.

Although, £5 Calltime Balance a month sounds great!, I would rather be on a contract where I only have to pay extra for international calls and where I don't have to run around looking for a top up point when I need to make an urgent call.

12. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

cost of phone?

13. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Did you see the huge long thread on ohmac?

14. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I just found it on the forum boards after I posted that..

15. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

I agree the contracts are a total rip off for people who like the flexibility of pay as you go

Are you saying o2 are offering payG yet, or have you found a way to unlock the phone to allow it?

16. M-X macrumors member

update from O2 on 3g PAYG phone - randomly just spoke to c/s on something else iphone related and they dropped into the conversation that it is definitely December 08. she said the only reason they have the 2g EDGE payg option now for old phones, is that the system was setup for a simultaneous 3g contract/ payg release on 11 July, which never materialised of course...

Personally I'm not a big fan of the 3g phone and going to wait for the proper revision next year ;)

17. HeavenDivine macrumors member

You dont need to unlock the UK 3g iphone if you want to use o2 payg, just pop a payg o2 sim in and it will work perfectly just like with the origional iphone. make sure you get the web and wifi bolt on like i said and u wil be fine. total unlimited 3g.

They will be offering payg in december probably.

18. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular