Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Since allegedly the 17" is launching on Monday what are the chances that the 15" will get a minor bump as well. Perhaps with a DL superdrive or a small cpu bump given the intel price adjustment coming up.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Probably no chance at all. They were just released a couple months ago, and they increased the speed from what they originally said.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
spencecb said:
Probably no chance at all. They were just released a couple months ago, and they increased the speed from what they originally said.

They just authorized an exchange for me (another thread long story) and apparently they won't start production until I return the box to FedEx. I think I might wait a few days though, just to see if anything changes. WHo knows ...

What's the word on the new motherboards and serial number builds anyway? All that Rev C Rev D talk seems to have died down over the past few days
eV

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I would absolutely love it if they did, but doubt it.

It was my first thought, upgrade to 2.0/2.16, DL Superdrive, etc. but I doubt it. There are alot of things, but I will just learn to live with them.

-yankeefan

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
yankeefan24 said:
I would absolutely love it if they did, but doubt it.

It was my first thought, upgrade to 2.0/2.16, DL Superdrive, etc. but I doubt it. There are alot of things, but I will just learn to live with them.

-yankeefan

They've been delaying in sending me a return shipping label for my DOA MBP which has me thinking. I posted the following in the other thread:-

I'm pretty sure there are going to be some minor updates to the current 15" MBP's as well as the alleged release of the 17".

If the 17" is geared towards the video professionals there is no way that they can not include a DL Superdrive.

Also with the Intel price cuts they could easily do another processor shuffle. The 2.16 is slated to dop to the current price of the 2.0.

Low end MBP 15" 2 Ghz
High end MBP 15" 2.16 Ghz with an option of 2.33Ghz

Low end 17" MBP 2.16Ghz
High end 17" MBP 2.33 Ghz with 7200rpm drive as standard.

DL Superdrives standard on all machines. Maybe a higher end video card for the 17" MBP's

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
kkapoor said:
They've been delaying in sending me a return shipping label for my DOA MBP which has me thinking. I posted the following in the other thread:-

I'm pretty sure there are going to be some minor updates to the current 15" MBP's as well as the alleged release of the 17".

If the 17" is geared towards the video professionals there is no way that they can not include a DL Superdrive.

Also with the Intel price cuts they could easily do another processor shuffle. The 2.16 is slated to dop to the current price of the 2.0.

Low end MBP 15" 2 Ghz
High end MBP 15" 2.16 Ghz with an option of 2.33Ghz

Low end 17" MBP 2.16Ghz
High end 17" MBP 2.33 Ghz with 7200rpm drive as standard.

DL Superdrives standard on all machines. Maybe a higher end video card for the 17" MBP's

OK, so for fun, lets assume your projections are right. So if I'm in the process of exchanging my machine (see sig for config) what can I expect to get back? Again, assuming you're right and using the last speed bump as a benchmark (people got upgraded to the next level up)

eV

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
eVolcre said:
OK, so for fun, lets assume your projections are right. So if I'm in the process of exchanging my machine (see sig for config) what can I expect to get back? Again, assuming you're right and using the last speed bump as a benchmark (people got upgraded to the next level up)

eV

Apple would have all the extras around for replacement. Unless yours is a config which they don't have and can't upgrade too (doubt it), you will get the same or similar machine.

Thats how the world goes.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
yankeefan24 said:
Apple would have all the extras around for replacement. Unless yours is a config which they don't have and can't upgrade too (doubt it), you will get the same or similar machine.

Thats how the world goes.

Well mine is a BTO same as kkapoor.

I'm not expecting anything. I was playing the what if game :) kkapoor didn't get his replacement so he was wondering if there was going to be an upgrade and then wondered if that might be the reason.

So I started wondering that if all the above is true, what do you think they *might* do

hahaha

Lots of wondering

eV

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
I really hope they don't upgrade it, since I only got my MBP a month ago and I don't want it to go out of date so quick. I don't want to buy another one until, oh, 2.33GHz or faster Meron with DL superdrive - hopefully September :D

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Max on Macs said:
I really hope they don't upgrade it, since I only got my MBP a month ago and I don't want it to go out of date so quick. I don't want to buy another one until, oh, 2.33GHz or faster Meron with DL superdrive - hopefully September :D

Any upgrade wouldn't really be major enough to make your machine out of date. Regardless all of this is just speculation, nothing more. I'm just a little confused as to why the DOA MBP that I received on the 11th is still sitting here waiting for a return waybill.

(By the way in the US they email those return labels to you, In Canada they send them snail mail)

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
They said that the 17" will have more storage, does that mean that the same storage would be available for the 15"? I would order a 15" right away if i could drop a 160gb in one

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Here's an interesting theory what about two hard drives in the 17in model :) Many other makers do it and the Intel chipset is considerably smaller than the PPC one it replaced. They better fit an Express Card 54 slot in there as well instead of the useless 34 the 15in gets.

We might see the return of FW800 although having said that I'm not sure if Intel have ever integrated such a feature in to there chipsets.

The problem with DL Superdrives is one of size not availability. The 15in model can't take current units as it is too thin and I don't think there have been any significant revisions of such drives by there makers. Afterall you can only make a drive so thin and none of the current PC makers require then thinner. Apple will either have to hold out or make the machine a few milimeters thicker. Personally I'd rather admit they got it wrong and say they were only after bragging rights and make the 17in large enough to get all the features and more that the current PPC 17in model has.

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
There would be a lot of complaints from people who have already bought a 15 inch MBP. Some people who bought one within 14 days would return theirs. I hope that they do not do another speed bump on the 15inch MBP.
The 17 inch MBP seems like it maybe so expensive. A 15 inch 2.16 7,200rpm 1gb MBP without after care is already over £2,000 in the UK which is $3,700 dollars so i just imagine what a 17 inch is going to cost.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I really don't think we will see an update to the 15" but I could see apple dropping the 1.83ghz and replace it with the 2.0Ghz at the $2k price point, which would give the 17" the $2,499 price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.