Updates Updates Updates!!! - How to get rid of them... *besides the obvious

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chris001, Feb 20, 2008.

1. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

hey guys. i have in my update manager...
    prokit
    iDVD
    Iweb
    iphoto
    quicktime,
    imovie
    garageband
    itunes.

i really don't wan tto download these items because i don't use them very often.
    and they just take up space that i need.

but the update managerpops up once a few days and is like hey you need to update these items
    is there any way that i can get rid of these updates without actually downloading them?

than;ks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

They take up hardly any space at all, it's best just to install them.

3. iansilv macrumors 65816

yeah man- are you a windows convert? I ask because I am, and I cna say- the Mac os does something funny- it uses updates to fix and improve teh software you use, not f@#$ it up like windows does :)

4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

just download the updates already. lol. a lot of things work together and its best just to have your software up to date as per your OS.

5. chris001 thread starter macrumors regular

chris001

i am a switcher actually.
    but i only have a macbook.
    my home comp is still a PC.

i rather like it like that..
    the macbook is sweet for school and travel.. but i need the PC.. it's a comfort thing..

HOWEVER,
    i have only 120GB of HD space <-- which obviously isn't true HD space so i'm left with about 113GB actually..

and then there is the OS, drivers, Apps, MUSIC is a big one and Videos also. and some random other things...

i find my self often only being left with 5GB of space sometimes.. and i need to keep at least 12GB (10% free) so my macbook run's efficiently.

and all the updates are acutlaly total ~400-500MB in size.
    that is space i may need. minor as it may be.. i dont use those apps at all. and i really need the room

SO... if there is any other way. i would appreciate it. thanks.

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

If you don't even use those apps and you're having that much space trouble, have you considered just uninstalling them*? Uninstalling them (especially GarageBand) will free up several GB's of space for you, and may make the updates go away.

*Not Quicktime. Keep that and update that one, as whether you use the app or not, your system uses it behind-the-scenes for some important graphics stuff.

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Go to System Prefs, choose Software Update. Uncheck everything- especially the box that says Check for Updates: (Blank) because that will happen automatically. You don't *really* need most updates, especially if HD space is an issue (while things like iPhoto updates add new designs, OS improve general stability- not the regular app updates don't, just not usually to a huge extent). If you find something isn't running well, check for an update in Software Update, but get only that; you can specify which updates to download in the window itself by checking/unchecking certain ones that you do/do not want.