Updates

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Someone asked about security updates, Do I get them? I've not seen an update on here since the 10.6.8 which I've never done believe it or not, after everyone complained about it.

But I've not seen anything update since. Is that normal for software updates, or is it because they stopped updating 10.6.7 that I have?

2. simsaladimbamba

Normal, otherwise they would show up in Software Update.
    Why don't you update to 10.6.8?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's always a good idea to stay current with Mac OS X updates. I recommend you update to 10.6.8.

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, will do.
    It's just at the time I'd only just switched to Mac since May/June and I was learning the ways of Mac, so was put off by the neg feedback and blue screen reports when it came out.

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not everyone wants Lion. There are plenty Mac users who prefer to stay on Leopard or Snow Leopard.

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I agree but that goes against your mention to stay current.

It's probably going to be hard to upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8. Then there's the learning curve and if you avoid all that eventually when your computer dies you'll have to get a new one with the new version of OS X or Windows or linux.

8. simsaladimbamba

But that costs another 29 USD, and not everyone wants that ****** OS, for instance me. I tried it for one week, and its removal of Exposé and Spaces is a big NO GO for me.
    Lion is targeted at consumers, who want an iOS like experience. It is a big step away from the modern Mac OS X we learned to like. But I guess opinions are like arseholes.

----------

Why should it?
    Someone you know will have 10.7 and then you can download 10.8 and make an installer out of it and then do a clean install and then migrate data you backed up and still need.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it doesn't. Re-read my post:
    Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?
    That's nonsense. It won't be any harder than going from Tiger to Snow Leopard, or Leopard to Lion. There are always new things to learn, but it's not difficult.

10. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

I would recommend just keeping up to date using the Software Update panel. It is likely that the 10.6.8 update includes some security fixes, and it is also possible that some security updates may not show up in Software Update until you install 10.6.8.

However, having said that, security updates are not all that frequent. I think whoever asked you about them (and gave you the impression that there should be lots of them) is probably accustomed to the Windows world, where it is not unheard of for multiple security updates to come out in a single day (and they need it!).

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

As pointed out by GGJ and Sim, when you have a steep learning curve from windows to Apple, and then you're greeted with a new OS, ie Lion, after just getting into SL for couple of months, It's the last thing you want. I'm happy with Snow Leopard, and will do the 10.6.8 but I'm not so keen on Lion, I tried it in a store, and although it's not a massive outlay, I just didn't want it.

When that day comes that I have to upgrade the MBP, then I'll worry about it then. I assume they will support updates for SL for some time to come? What is usual with Apple when they have new OS, do updates die out eventually because of Lion?

Spliced, yes, fair point.