Updates?

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
How do i find updates for osx panther? I run software update on my ibook but theres never any new updates, yet people are always saying they find updates on apples website? Also im thinking of just upgrading to tiger, im having a lot of problems with safari randomly quitting. Would the upgrade to tiger clean out my system, make it run better, healthier?
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
17,273
1,184
There are also periodic Security Updates...are you getting those through Software Update?

Here's the list of updates available from Apple. Note that there are updates for Panther and Tiger, so only some of them would apply to you.

Edit: There some other downloads here...mostly Tiger though. In general, you should use Software Update if it is working...it makes sure to download only the proper updates for your machine and the right versions of them.
 

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
1,587
0
CaptainCaveMann said:
How do i find updates for osx panther? I run software update on my ibook but theres never any new updates, yet people are always saying they find updates on apples website? Also im thinking of just upgrading to tiger, im having a lot of problems with safari randomly quitting. Would the upgrade to tiger clean out my system, make it run better, healthier?
Did you not get the recent security update? If not that's extremely odd. I have a Panther machine I maintain at work and recently there were two updates on it, the security update and the update for Quicktime 7.1. So they are definitely still releasing software updates for Panther quite often.

Have you tried running software update manually from the menu bar? Click on the Apple logo in the menu bar and click on Software Update.
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
dr_lha said:
Did you not get the recent security update? If not that's extremely odd. I have a Panther machine I maintain at work and recently there were two updates on it, the security update and the update for Quicktime 7.1. So they are definitely still releasing software updates for Panther quite often.

Have you tried running software update manually from the menu bar? Click on the Apple logo in the menu bar and click on Software Update.
Ya i just did that and i do every so ofton. I havnt seen any new security updates, whats goin on here? :confused: By the way, how can i check to see the most recent security update on my computer?
 

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
1,587
0
CaptainCaveMann said:
Ya i just did that and i do every so ofton. I havnt seen any new security updates, whats goin on here? :confused: By the way, how can i check to see the most recent security update on my computer?
Go into Preferences and click on "Software Update". You should be able to see a list of installed updates there I think. Its there on Tiger at least, I don't have the Panther machine here to check.
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
dr_lha said:
Go into Preferences and click on "Software Update". You should be able to see a list of installed updates there I think. Its there on Tiger at least, I don't have the Panther machine here to check.
It just says my software is up to date, no list of previously installed updates. :confused:
 

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
1,587
0
CaptainCaveMann said:
It just says my software is up to date, no list of previously installed updates. :confused:
Yeah, I had a feeling it was different in Panther. Have a look in here instead:

/Library/Logs/Software Update.log
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
dr_lha said:
Yeah, I had a feeling it was different in Panther. Have a look in here instead:

/Library/Logs/Software Update.log
There was no software update icons in the logs folder. This was all there was:

JavaNativeCrash_pid1757.log
JavaNativeCrash_pid2826.log
JavaNativeCrash_pid804.log
JavaNativeCrash_pid1000.log
AIM®
auto_test.log
CrashReporter
JavaNativeCrash_pid1204.log
 

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
1,587
0
CaptainCaveMann said:
There was no software update icons in the logs folder. This was all there was:

JavaNativeCrash_pid1757.log
JavaNativeCrash_pid2826.log
JavaNativeCrash_pid804.log
JavaNativeCrash_pid1000.log
AIM®
auto_test.log
CrashReporter
JavaNativeCrash_pid1204.log
Did you look in the System "Library" directory or the one in your home directory? Its in the System one BTW.

I just ssh'd into the Panther machine at work and there is a log there. To check you could open a Terminal.app window and type:

cat /Library/Logs/Software\ Update.log

Here's the last few lines of the file on my computer (the Panther one).
Code:
2006-02-17 14:16:11 -0500: Installed "iTunes" (6.0.3)
2006-03-14 08:29:23 -0500: Installed "iTunes" (6.0.4)
2006-03-14 08:29:35 -0500: Installed "Security Update 2006-002 (PowerPC)" (1.0)
2006-04-21 09:35:41 -0400: Installed "iPod Updater 2006-03-23" ((null))
2006-05-18 09:46:43 -0400: Installed "QuickTime" (7.1)
2006-05-18 09:46:55 -0400: Installed "Security Update 2006-003 (PowerPC)" (1.0)
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
dr_lha said:
Did you look in the System "Library" directory or the one in your home directory? Its in the System one BTW.

I just ssh'd into the Panther machine at work and there is a log there. To check you could open a Terminal.app window and type:

cat /Library/Logs/Software\ Update.log

Here's the last few lines of the file on my computer (the Panther one).
Code:
2006-02-17 14:16:11 -0500: Installed "iTunes" (6.0.3)
2006-03-14 08:29:23 -0500: Installed "iTunes" (6.0.4)
2006-03-14 08:29:35 -0500: Installed "Security Update 2006-002 (PowerPC)" (1.0)
2006-04-21 09:35:41 -0400: Installed "iPod Updater 2006-03-23" ((null))
2006-05-18 09:46:43 -0400: Installed "QuickTime" (7.1)
2006-05-18 09:46:55 -0400: Installed "Security Update 2006-003 (PowerPC)" (1.0)
Ok i tried to do that in terminal and failed miserably, how do i do that step by step after opening terminal? I did however find the system library and this is all i found. By the way i hope i didnt screw anything up in terminal. Haha

2005-04-07 13:46:14 -0700: Installed "Apple Remote Desktop Client" (1.2.4)
2005-04-07 13:46:30 -0700: Installed "Java 1.4.2 Update 2" (1.4.2 Update 2)
2005-04-07 13:46:37 -0700: Installed "iMovie HD Update" (5.0.1)
2005-04-07 13:46:45 -0700: Installed "iPhoto Update" (5.0.1)
2005-04-07 13:47:00 -0700: Installed "iPod Updater 2005-03-23" ((null))
2005-04-07 13:48:07 -0700: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.3.8)
2005-04-11 10:19:48 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2004-10-27" (1.0)
2005-04-11 10:19:58 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2005-002" (2.0.0)
2005-04-11 10:20:14 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2005-003" (1.0)
2005-04-17 19:41:39 -0700: Installed "iDVD Update" (5.0.1)
2005-04-17 19:41:50 -0700: Installed "iMovie HD Update" (5.0.2)
2005-04-17 19:42:34 -0700: Installed "iPhoto Update" (5.0.2)
2005-04-17 19:44:28 -0700: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.3.9)
2005-04-18 23:40:38 -0700: Installed "Apple Bluetooth Module Firmware Update" (1.2)
2005-04-29 19:59:33 -0700: Installed "QuickTime" (7.0)
2005-04-29 19:59:57 -0700: Installed "GarageBand Update" (2.0.1)
2005-04-29 20:00:02 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2005-004" (1.0)
2005-04-29 20:00:07 -0700: Installed "Java Update for Mac OS X v10.3.9" (1.0)
2005-05-09 11:39:33 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2005-005" (1.0)
2005-05-16 15:43:51 -0700: Installed "Apple Intermediate Codec" (1.0.1)
2005-05-16 15:44:27 -0700: Installed "iTunes" (4.8.0)
2005-06-27 20:57:49 -0700: Installed "QuickTime" (7.0.1)
2005-06-27 20:57:57 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2005-006" (1.0)
2005-07-11 19:00:16 -0700: Installed "iPod Updater 2005-06-26" ((null))
2005-07-18 14:11:40 -0700: Installed "AirPort Software" (4.2)
2005-07-18 14:12:33 -0700: Installed "iPhoto Update" (5.0.3)
2005-08-01 23:33:24 -0700: Installed "GarageBand Update" (2.0.2)
2005-08-01 23:34:18 -0700: Installed "iPhoto Update" (5.0.4)
2005-08-22 19:04:05 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2005-007" (1.0)
2005-08-30 02:04:05 -0700: Installed "Safari Update" (1.3.1)
2005-09-27 13:08:11 -0700: Installed "QuickTime" (7.0.2)
2005-09-27 13:08:34 -0700: Installed "Java Security Update" (4.0)
2005-09-27 13:08:50 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2005-008" (1.0)
2005-09-27 13:09:20 -0700: Installed "iTunes" (5.0.1)
2005-09-27 13:09:40 -0700: Installed "iPod Updater 2005-09-23" ((null))
2005-10-18 18:09:21 -0700: Installed "iTunes" (6.0)
2005-10-18 18:10:38 -0700: Installed "QuickTime" (7.0.3)
2005-11-15 17:08:37 -0800: Installed "iTunes" (6.0.1)
2005-12-06 22:43:11 -0800: Installed "Security Update 2005-009" (1.0)
2005-12-06 22:43:43 -0800: Installed "iPod Updater 2005-11-17" ((null))
2005-12-14 00:04:58 -0800: Installed "AirPort Extreme Driver Update 2005-001" (1.0)
2006-01-10 23:06:53 -0800: Installed "QuickTime" (7.0.4)
2006-01-10 23:08:26 -0800: Installed "iTunes" (6.0.2)
2006-01-17 18:27:42 -0800: Installed "Safari Update" (1.3.2)
2006-01-17 18:27:52 -0800: Installed "iPod Updater 2006-01-10" ((null))
2006-03-08 07:19:26 -0800: Installed "Security Update 2006-001 (PowerPC)" (1.0)
2006-03-08 08:20:59 -0800: Installed "iTunes" (6.0.4)
2006-03-14 20:58:55 -0800: Installed "Security Update 2006-002 (PowerPC)" (1.0)
2006-04-03 15:05:47 -0700: Installed "iPod Updater 2006-03-23" ((null))
2006-05-17 08:18:28 -0700: Installed "QuickTime" (7.1)
2006-05-17 08:18:58 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2006-003 (PowerPC)" (1.0)
2006-05-24 19:39:20 -0700: Installed "iSight Update" (1.0.3)
 

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
1,587
0
CaptainCaveMann said:
Ok i tried to do that in terminal and failed miserably, how do i do that step by step after opening terminal? I did however find the system library and this is all i found.


2006-05-17 08:18:28 -0700: Installed "QuickTime" (7.1)
2006-05-17 08:18:58 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2006-003 (PowerPC)" (1.0)
2006-05-24 19:39:20 -0700: Installed "iSight Update" (1.0.3)
Your machine has updates from May 17th, so I would say that its fully up to date. Does someone else use the machine? Perhaps they updated it when you weren't using it. Its hard to imagine you didn't notice the updates happening, for one thing the Security Update required a reboot IIRC.

Whatever, you appear to have all the latest patches.
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
dr_lha said:
Your machine has updates from May 17th, so I would say that its fully up to date. Does someone else use the machine? Perhaps they updated it when you weren't using it. Its hard to imagine you didn't notice the updates happening, for one thing the Security Update required a reboot IIRC.

Whatever, you appear to have all the latest patches.
Well i guess thats good its all up to date then. Nobody else uses it that i know of. Thanks for your help! Still would like to know how to find those logs in terminal. I opened the terminal window and typed cat and pressed enter, nothing happened. So then i typed the whole sequence you wrote and it said bad command or something. Maybe it updates in sleep mode, beause if that update happend on the 17th i dont remember doing that.
 

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
1,587
0
CaptainCaveMann said:
Well i guess thats good its all up to date then. Nobody else uses it that i know of. Thanks for your help! Still would like to know how to find those logs in terminal. I opened the terminal window and typed cat and pressed enter, nothing happened. So then i typed the whole sequence you wrote and it said bad command or something. Maybe it updates in sleep mode. Cause if that update happend on the 17th i def dont remember doing that.
Cutting and pasting the whole line doesn't work? Anyway - I would suggest you if you want to find your way around Terminal, then you need to go find a nice online guide to UNIX. Hope your Safari issues clear up!
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
dr_lha said:
Cutting and pasting the whole line doesn't work? Anyway - I would suggest you if you want to find your way around Terminal, then you need to go find a nice online guide to UNIX. Hope your Safari issues clear up!
Thanks again! ::walks back into cave::