Updating 2010 MBA to Mavericks or Yosemite?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by STTEVES, Apr 8, 2015.

1. STTEVES macrumors newbie

Because of the need to get some new software, thinking about upgrading my 2010 MBA to either Mavericks or Yosemite? I'm running Snow Leopard now.

I'm reluctant to change for fear that it'll screw up numerous things on my Mac.

If you've done this.... Should I be worried? How painful or painless is this?

Thanks in advance.

2. asoksevil macrumors 6502

I was reluctant to update as Snow Leopard has served me very well through these years... but software was getting outdated and several new applications did not support SL.

I upgraded to both Yosemite and Mavericks and I can tell you how surprised I was when I found out that Mavericks performs better than Snow Leopard (memory compression, different system optimizations, etc). The speed and smoothness of Safari is absolutely terrific.

Yosemite did not perform as well as Mavericks, and I found the latter one to be more stable with no Wi-Fi or other issues.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Mavericks

Mavericks fo sho, meh on Yosemite.

Yosemite does super well on SSDs, but with an older computer with an HD, it's a bit slower.

I could see it on my 2009 iMac and Mac Mini (running 2.x core2duo). Ending up getting a new mini and downgrading to Mavericks on the iMac.

Holding off until 512 SSDs are more affordable.

But definitely Mavericks.