Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Hello. I searched but dont think I was using the right words.

I am used to updating either my Nividia or Radeon Drivers. Sometimes once a month.

So far since I purchased my mid 2010 iMac with the 5670 i havent seen a driver update come across from apple with the updates.

Newbie question but is it best to download the drivers myself?

Thanks

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
You didn't say what Mac you have, but assuming it's an iMac, or even if it's a Mac Pro with a stock graphics card, all driver updates will come directly from Apple through Software Update. They will, however, almost never be identified specifically--driver updates are almost always rolled into 10.6.x OS updates except in exceptional situations.

They aren't updated as frequently as Windows drivers, but they are updated periodically. Barefeats has occasionally reported significant increases in game performance between point updates.

Now, if you're talking about Boot Camp driver updates, it's the same as usual--Apple does supply updated drivers in the Boot Camp drivers package, but you can also just install the Nvidia/AMD drivers yourself.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
You didn't say what Mac you have, but assuming it's an iMac, or even if it's a Mac Pro with a stock graphics card, all driver updates will come directly from Apple through Software Update. They will, however, almost never be identified specifically--driver updates are almost always rolled into 10.6.x OS updates except in exceptional situations.

They aren't updated as frequently as Windows drivers, but they are updated periodically. Barefeats has occasionally reported significant increases in game performance between point updates.

Now, if you're talking about Boot Camp driver updates, it's the same as usual--Apple does supply updated drivers in the Boot Camp drivers package, but you can also just install the Nvidia/AMD drivers yourself.

Ok Awesome. Thank you. yes it is indeed a iMac mid 2010 3.2ghz model with the AMD 5670.

So its safe to assume I have the latest version then?
Good to know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.