iPhone 6(S)(+) Updating 6S from iOS 10 to iOS 11?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NotMyName, May 13, 2018.

1. NotMyName macrumors member

I have the iPhone 6S and it was superb on iOS 9. I decided to update it one day to iOS 10.whateveritwas and the battery overnight became horrendous. The phone didn't run slow but the battery would be awful. I would start work at 7:30am on 100%, literally have all apps closed down and no settings changed, i would come to my break at 10:45am and the phone would be on 6%-12% battery. I then updated to 10.3.1 and the battery still wasn't great.
    Got the battery replaced with Apple and it was ok after that.

I've had previous experience with earlier iPhones of updating to the 'next' iOS and it making the phone run slow or the battery life be horrendous (or both) which puts me off updating to iOS 11.

So both my wife and I have the same iPhone 6S phones - i got mine on release date but got the battery replaced a year later whereas she bought hers a year later and hasn't had a battery replacement. I'm currently experiencing no battery issues whereas she's experiencing quick drain at times.

We're both on iOS 10.3.1.

I'm curious about iOS 11 whereas she'd like to update to it.

Is it worth it? Especially with the situation i've listed above? What about the battery life after the update and the phones responsiveness? To be honest the battery life concerns me more than the responsiveness of the phone after the update.

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

In general 6S handles iOS 11 well. If you have issues with battery life then just get it replaced by Apple.

3. theramod macrumors member

theramod

My 6s is working very well on 11.3.1. Very happy!

4. RobaxMan Suspended

Is there some overwhelming attraction to iOS 11 that you feel the need to update?? Other than the on-going red herring of us minions being stricken with a gazillion security strikes, if we don't.

5. FeliApple, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

If you had problems with updating in the past, why would you risk it again? Especially if the problem was solved on iOS 10.3.1 and battery is now ok. I'm running a flawless 6s on iOS 9.3.3. It works, won't touch it.

6. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

My wife and I both have 6s Iphones that are a little over a year old. We have upgraded them both to the latest IOS systems as they have become available and both phones are doing just fine. The battery life has been no problem.

7. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

No problems here with a 6s on 11.3. Snappy enough and good batterylife. It just got a new battery officially through Apple.

8. Julienne macrumors member

Julienne

iPhone 7 here with replaced battery through Apple. I squeezed about 5 hours and 20+ minutes before it got to 50% and I put it back on the charger at end of day.

Phone is coolish and no noticeable slowdowns or issues.

9. NotMyName thread starter macrumors member

Well in the end my wife updated to iOS 11. She said there's a few features she doesn't like and some that she does. Hasn't mentioned battery life yet so i guess it's fine.

For me though i don't like the look of iOS 11 so i think i'll stay on iOS 10.

I also don't like how Apple seem to be forcing you to update apps direct on the phone and wont allow you to do it through iTunes (unless you have an old version of iTunes - which they'll no doubt stop you from using at some point (such as if you want/need to update iOS)). If you know a workaround for this then please see my other thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/updating-through-itunes-can-you-keep-old-app-versions.2118641/

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

For me, I updated from iOS 10.3.x to iOS 11 back when wOS4 came out. I wanted the features of wOS4 so I did it. Made my iPhone 6 run like crap. Turns out it was due to the throttling issue because my battery was crapped out.

Anyways, I have a new 3rd party battery and I'm now running iOS 11.3, so the sluggishness has been better, but it's still worse than 10.3.

Also, I think iOS 11 broke Siri Eyes Free, at least it did on my 2014 Accord. The Do Not Disturb Car feature has really made SEF unpredictable and borderline useless. I did a search and apparently it's not just Hondas having issues.

Other than that, it's OK.

ft