Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.


macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018

I am working on a 2010 Mac Pro that is currently on OS X 10.6.8. It currently has Server Admin, on version 10.6.5, and Workgroup Manager, on 10.6.3. The server is used for DHCP, DNS, and Open Directory; it also has a Unifi Controller, and I have been backing it up regularly with Time Machine.

I would like to update this server to at least El Capitan, but I am worried that doing so will make Server Admin and Workgroup Manager unusable, and I am not sure how to transfer the current setup into the new macOS Server. I also saw recently that the new Server will be dropping support for DCHP and DNS, so I'm not sure if I should be moving over to that version. I may have misunderstood what I read.

Is there a good way to proceed from here? I have two flash drives with OS installers, one for El Capitan and one for Sierra. I also have a new Mac Pro (I think 2014 or 2015) that I want to move the server to, but thought that I should update the current one before doing so. The new Mac Pro has been started, but I haven't set anything up on it yet with regards to the server.

Thank you for your help!


macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I'd make a backup with CarbonCopyCloner first, then attempt an in-place OS upgrade. Be sure to update as well from the App Store.

THAT SAID: I'd operate under a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy with macOS Server. I'd also investigate how to migrate away from those services in your environment. macOS Server shouldn't be relied on IMO.


macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Make at least two working backups.

Remove your existing drives, put them aside.

Upgrade the one clone backup.
It’s one way process. Also be sure to read on the deprecation of macOS Server.

I think you’ll find it difficult to get it running if you don’t have previous versions of server app etc.

By any means do t rush.


macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Agree with the above.

If you don't want to swap drives...and make clones only for backups, be sure to boot to them and test before proceeding.

FWIW, I have good luck overall with Server running on 10.12 and will likely not upgrade until I can see what is coming next, and to let it simmer for a while. Likely when 10.4 is mature.

Oh, and older (non-current) versions of Server used to be a pain, so be sure you can lay hands on the correct Server for whatever OS you decide to move forward with.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.