Updating a clone using CCC on my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by princesultan, Mar 6, 2011.

1. princesultan macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Just wondering...

I made a clone of my hard drive last week using carbon copy cloner. What if I want to update this clone? Should I re-format the drive and then do the process all over? Or is there a simpler way?

Thanks!

2. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

CCC has an incremental BU option.

3. princesultan thread starter macrumors regular

perfect. i saw that and i thought that's what i needed, but i wasn't sure how it worked. i googled it, but i'm wondering if you could clear that up for me. i've changed around settings in certain programs and such, so how would i use this option to ensure that my entire drive is cloned and that i don't leave anything out?

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

In the cloning options you select incremental backup and then select the disk and items to backup.

I'm not sure if it saves changed preferences.Best way to chalk is to do an incremental backup; then boot from the backup disk and run the programs you changed to see if the preferences were backed up.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I believe this has the answers, from Carbon Copy Cloner help:

Options to the "Incremental backup of selected items" method

Home → Exploring the Basic Backup Options →

"Delete files that don't exist on the source"
    By default, the "Incremental backup of selected items" method will copy the selected items to your target drive, copying only the items that are different* and leaving in place any files on the target that do not exist on the source. Essentially, the two drives are merged onto the target. Often when you back up your data, however, you also want to delete items on the backup that have been deleted on your source hard drive. Select the "Delete files that don't exist on the source" option if you would like items that have been deleted on the source to be deleted from the target.

* Items that already exist on the source and target will be copied again if the modification date is different (newer or older), or if the file size is different.

"Protect root-level target items"
    Not everyone has a hard drive that can be completely dedicated to the task of backing up a single volume. If you have content on your backup volume that you do not want deleted, yet you want to keep your backup "clean", use the "Protect root-level target items" option. For example, suppose you have these items on your source volume:

Applications Library System Tax Records (This year) Users
    And you have these items on the target volume:

Documents Older Tax Records Photos 1976-2001 Tax Records (This year)
    With the "Incremental backup of selected items" method plus the "Delete files that don't exist on the source" option, the Documents, Photos 1976-2001, and Older Tax Records directories would be erased completely (bad!*), and the Tax Records (This year) directory would be updated to exactly match the Tax Records (This year) directory on the source (probably a good thing). By adding the "Protect root-level target items" option, the Documents, Older Tax Records and Photos 1976-2001 directories are left untouched because they are unique to the target volume. The Tax Records (This year) directory, however, is still updated to match the Tax Records (This year) directory on the source. When your goal is to keep an up to date backup without older cruft, that's an ideal scenario.

* Granted, they should be backed up at least one other place if they are important, right?

"Archive modified and deleted items"
    In the event that you accidentally delete a file and don't notice until after your scheduled backup has occurred, you are typically out of luck -- the file is deleted from your backup (when using the "Delete items that don't exist on the source" option). With the "Archive modified and deleted items" option, deleted items are not deleted from the backup, rather they are moved to a time-stamped folder (e.g. "2010-09-08 (September 9) 17-30-00"). These time-stamped folders are stored in a folder named "_CCC Archives" located at the root of your target volume. Should you ever need to recover a long-ago deleted file, or simply the version of a file before last week's major revision, simply navigate to the "_CCC Archives" folder at the root level of your backup volume and find the folder named with the date that the backup occurred.

Please note that the current version of CCC does not prune the archive directories. Periodically you should delete older archive folders to free up space on your backup volume. You might also consider this tip from a CCC user for reducing the number of unnecessary items in your archive directories.

6. princesultan thread starter macrumors regular