Updating a jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spsmith22, Feb 14, 2011.

1. spsmith22 macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken 3G currently running 3.1.2 firmware. Can I update the firmware to something more recent without losing my jailbreak? Anyone have suggestions or a link?

Thanks in advance!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Iclarified.com is one of the sites where you should go to read about jailbreaking your phone.

3. spsmith22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. I don't even know where to start there. Can anyone tell me if I'm simply wasting my time? Do I need to start from scratch and jailbreak with new firmware (losing all my current jailbroken content)?

4. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Sorry TS but everyone is looking to be spoon fed around here and messing with these things requires you to do some reading up before you start - or you'll c o c k up.

Start by learning about SHSH blobs and how you can find out using TinyUmbrella whether you have SHSH blobs for any of the more recent firmwares stored centrally. If you don't need to unlock updating fw and jailbreaking is a simple walk in the park - as you'll soon learn from reading up a bit.

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

No you cant. Every time you update, you will lose jailbreak and all apps. The settings for the jb apps will remain however. So you will need to rejailbreak and then redownload all jb apps.