Updating a jailbroken 1.1.1 Touch to 1.1.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by hachre, Nov 9, 2007.

1. hachre macrumors 6502a

hachre

I already posted this in the comments thread here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=384167&page=2

I've tried updating my jailbroken iPod touch 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 and the result is a crashloop.

It seems that the Springboard crashes just after startup, gets automatically relaunched, crashes again etc...

-> Doing a restore and using the backup results in the same crashloop as before.

-> Restoring without using the backup settings is working.

Conclusion:
    Jailbroken 1.1.1 iPod touchs can be updated to 1.1.2 but you will lose the jailbreak, all applications and all settings completely.

2. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

3. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

well they already jailbroke the new firmware today!

4. urrl78 macrumors member

I was wondering the same thing and was about to post this topic, so thanks much. If you are now in 1.1.2 though, what are the advantages and is it worth it to lose your jailbreak?
    I just did the jailbreak last night after 3 attempts and realized I needed to change iTunes settings to keep it from comming in and finding the iPod during reboots; I think that helped to jailbreak it...and my iClear case came in today; totally AWESOME.

[​IMG]

5. illweather macrumors regular

turning off sync?!

This is probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out on my own...

How do you prevent your iPt from syncing when you connect it to your computer (in my case a Mac) while iTunes is open? I know that on the iPod touch screen you can swipe it, and cancel a sync, but is there a setting that I am overlooking? I have found settings in preferences to automatically sync bookmarks and contacts, but nothing about syncing in general.

What am I doing wrong, or is the manual swipe on the touch the correct way to prevent syncing?

Thanks

Edit: So I was looking at a co-workers PC, and his iTunes has a tab under preferences that specifically says "syncing!" Does the Mac version not have this for some reason, or maybe I don't have the most recent version of iTunes?... Now I'm further confused, and unfortunately not in front of my computer (cause I'm at work).

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

uncheck the boxes that say "automatically sync this iPod" and "automatically open iTunes when this iPod is connected" or something like that

also check "manually manage my music"...

7. hachre thread starter macrumors 6502a

hachre

There is no way to turn automatic syncinc off I think. Your co-worker prolly has an older version of iTunes, the sync options used to be in the preferences but they are now in the iPod menu.

Edit:
    I just noticed there is a Syncing tab again in main preferences with a checkbox "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhone and iPods", I guess that's what you're looking for. Make sure you have iTunes 7.5. I'm not sure when this tab got introduced.

8. hachre thread starter macrumors 6502a

hachre

There are no advantages that I can speak of. Calender works fully now with adding entries (but you can also have that on 1.1.1 when you install the Calendar fix).

The Aalarm bug I already reported 2 times is still there (Alarm doesn't make any sound when you synced your iPod and haven't restarted ever since)

Safari might be faster than before but I can't really tell.

All in all mostly a under-the-hood release I guess.

The 1.1.2 Firmware is not worth losing the Jailbreak at all. Just wait till it's breakable and do it then ;)

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

There is a turn off auto syncing for iPhone in the preferences...I'm surprised there is no way to turn off Touch syncing as well...

10. hachre thread starter macrumors 6502a

hachre

You are right! It's in the main preferences of iTunes though ;) I just found it myself, and it's for iPods too :)

(Stop editing your post im trying to keep up here !!! :D)

11. illweather macrumors regular

My co-worker has the latest version of iTunes, I'm sure of that. I guess I must not... Thanks for the help.

12. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

13. verbalist macrumors member

is there even a point to update besides the calender add

14. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

why does the ipod get to be jailbreaked but the iphone doesnt cmon isnt the firmware the same ????

15. tony Ramirez macrumors member

that dude that posted the pic, do u have XP running on a MAC or is that a dell laptop or sumthin

16. hecks macrumors regular

According to this, the new upgrade solution will involve a combination of prepping your jailbroken 1.1.1 pre-upgrade with a new Installer app, and a separate application run from your mac/pc post-upgrade (scroll to bottom for iPod test info):

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/09/iphone-testing-the-1-1-2-jailbreak/

As the poster points out, the post-upgrade app isn't publicly released yet, so there's no point trying. Shouldn't be long now, though ...

17. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

boot camp (XP on his mac, look at the key board)

18. cmuench macrumors member

Could also be parallels or fusion in full screen. I have vista on parallels and on fullscreen on my macbook it looks like you booted right up from it :)

19. urrl78 macrumors member

It's XP Bootcamp. I have EX720 Expresscard in MBP but it will not share WiFi signal with iPT. It's so weird that only when I am in Bootcamp XP can the iPT use the WiFi signal from the MBP to surf the net. Even then I need my other Powerbook in the wifi connection to keep the signal alive for the iPT. Wish there was an easier way using the Sprint EX720 Expresscard...

Thanks for the info on 1.1.2 Hachre. I'll keep me Jailbreak.

By the way I see the Jailbreak proccess has become exceptionally easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOdpNV8A3OQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHPVhDfxT8