Updating a jailbroken 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by anniegins, Mar 18, 2013.

1. anniegins macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I really am not well versed in technology so bear with me while I ask my questions. I have an iPhone 3G. When I first got it, my then husband jailbroke it for me. We are now divorced and I need some help.

I have some apps that will not update because my phone does not have iOS 5. When I sync my phone with my computer, I receive a message that tells me new updates are available, would I like to update. Am I able to update my jailbroken phone with the new updates when I sync? If not, do I need to reset my phone to factory settings and then update when I sync. If I do that, how do I rejailbreak my newly updated phone? If I do rejailbreak it, how will the apps that I got from Cydia or Instaullous back? The only app that I really care about getting back is MyWi, but if I could get all of them back that would be preferred.

Thanks for any feedback and help.

2. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

You cannot update an iPhone 3G to iOS 5, or 6.
    The latest update for that phone is 4.2.1

3. clockworkorange macrumors regular

The iPhone 3G is considered obsolete by Apple and iOS developers (or at least the majority of them). The last Major OS for that specific phone was iOS 4 (and it ran like poo)

If your apps have updates available be wary that they may not work on your phone anymore, as some are updated and optimized for the newer OSs

As for any cydia apps/tweaks, if you know your login information you can re-download any app you've bought from cydia (but if you purchased an app/tweak directly from a developer you'd have to contact them)

4. anniegins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your feedback.

As it turns out my phone is a 4G and not a 3G. Is the 4 able to update to iOS5?

Thank you again for your help.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Whats a 4G?
    Is it an iphone 3G, 3GS or iphone 4?
    The 3GS and iphone can be updated to the latest 6.1.2
    The highest and iphone 3G can go is 4.2.1

6. ~Ks383~, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

I assume you mean an iPhone 4. As Applejuiced posted if you have an iPhone 4 (or a 3GS) you can upgrade to the newest firmware, 6.1.2.

Apple signs it's firmwares during install and you cannot install a firmware they are not signing without something called an SHSH blob specific to your device and the firmware you're wanting to install. Apple only signs the most current version of its firmware.

To make a long story short since you have not been on iOS 5 previously you will not have the SHSH blob necessary to restore to iOS 5.0. Your only option if you want to upgrade is to restore to the most current firmware. Afterwards you can jailbreak your phone using evasi0n and follow the directions given previously in this thread to reinstall any purchased Cydia apps.

7. anniegins thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes....it's an iPhone 4.

I am not sure how to restore to the most current firmware. I apologize in advance for what may seem to be stupid questions. Like I mentioned, when my phone was jailbroken it was done by my then husband and he did all of the updates etc...now it's up to me and I am just not sure what the heck I am doing. I've tried to google and watched a few youtube videos, but most of this seems like a foreign language. Technology and the capacity to understand it is just not my thing.

If I am understanding, I need to reset my phone (settings->general->reset all settings) first, before I sync and update to the latest iTunes? After I reset to all settings, then I sync and update to latest iTunes? And then I restore from iTunes to get the latest iOS updates? After that, then I can jailbreak again?

Once again, I am sorry to frustrate with my lack of understanding.....I am trying to learn this and all the jargon, etc is over my head. Thank you again for your help.

TIA for all of your help.

8. ~Ks383~, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

You should never do this or "erase all content and settings" on a jailbroken idevice. After you jailbreak and run Cydia it modifies the devices file system. Due to this using those two specific reset functions on a jailbroken device can call big issues.

In response to your question as to what to do to jailbreak again, as I stated before if you want to update you are going to have to restore to the most recent firmware, in this case is iOS 6.1.3. You don't need to reset all the settings before you do this.

You are lucky you have an iPhone 4 or below. The 4S and 5 newer cannot be jailbroken on the newest firmware. Just to let you know, if you update and then jailbreak you will have what is known as a tethered jailbreak. That means that any time you completely reboot your phone you are going to have to hook it up to a computer in order to get it to function correctly.

You should be able to restore to the newest firmware via iTunes and then use redsn0w in order to jailbreak. Here is a tutorial I found(if you're running this under Windows redsn0w needs to be run as administrator):

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...and-ipod-touch-using-redsn0w-how-to-tutorial/

I hope that helps.