Updating a jailbroken 4s to 5.1 (when a JB is a available)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by d3v1l.cr0, Mar 17, 2012.

1. d3v1l.cr0 macrumors member

So here is my "problem".

This is the first time I have a iPhone, and I have jailbroken it months ago when the jailbreak appeared and it's been all good. Learned a bunch of stuff and everything is working fine.

But as you all know the 5.1 is out and the jailbreak seems to be coming out any minute now. So my question is, what is the step by step procedure for me? I am running 5.0.1 and don't have any battery problems at all, but I do plan to upgrade to 5.1 when a jailbreak is available. So can anyone explain everything I need to do?

Do I have to make a backup of my contacts, pics and stuff through iTunes first? How do I make all that appear back on phone after I update it an jailbreak again? Also is there a way to make a backup of all cydia tweaks I made so I don't need to download them again one by one?

I got tons of questions, these are all good for the start, hope it's not a problem for someone to answer them.

Thank you! :)

2. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

It may be a while before a JB is released. They appear to have the jailbreak, but they probably have to find an exploit for injecting it into a 4S without using a developer account.

When it comes, back up the phone in iTunes, then do a complete restore in iTunes. That will remove the jailbreak, install 5.1 and restore all your data. Then rejailbreak. If you want to preserve your jb apps, there are several Cydia apps for backing up everything. I use PkgBackup (7$, but worth it). It will not only back up the jb apps but also the springboard layout, configuration files, and optionally data from individual app store apps.

Let us hope it won't be a long wait. The last time it took months from they had the 4S jailbreak until they had something that could be installed on non-developer phones. But it is likely that the experience they gained then will accelerate it this time.

3. d3v1l.cr0 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks for the reply,

One more thing that's bothering me - when I do restore and set up the phone again, is there a way I can change the country of my app store account? I've set it to Croatia (the country I live in) and there's a lot of apps I can't see in the store when I'm logged in so I'm guessing that's the problem. Any way to change country or I have to make a new account?