Updating a jailbroken iPhone 4S to iOS 5.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kanon14, Mar 6, 2012.

1. kanon14 macrumors regular

kanon14

Hi guys. I jailbroke my iPhone 4S with Absinthe and I'm wondering if I want to update to 5.1 when it comes out later can I just do a regular update using iTunes (or even OTA update on the iPhone) without going through the complicate process of using Tiny Umbrella and whatnot? I don't plan to jailbreak my iPhone 4S in the future so I just want to get it back working as normal. Would updating through iTunes brick my iPhone? Thanks!

2. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

if you update through itunes and do not want to JB that is fine

3. kanon14 thread starter macrumors regular

kanon14

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

So there's really nothing I need to do prior to updating to 5.1? I too have a 4S and would rather have the update than the JB (can wait until the hackers JB 5.1 to be jailbroken again).

5. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

WEEEEELLLLLL....

I had to to do a 5.0.1 restore a couple weeks ago due to a JB crash, and iTunes kept saying "Failure to Restore" error.

Turns out, I had to manually delete Cydia's IP address from the iTunes syshost file in Windows with Wordpad to get it to work.

I think you can do it with TinyUmbrella too, but I find it easier to just do it manually and with Wordpad.

But - this is only if you have error message during your 5.1 update. Most likely it'll work just fine without any tweaking required because you're not doing a restore, you're doing an upgrade.