Updating a jailbroken iPhone 4S to iOS 5.1

kanon14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Hong Kong
Hi guys. I jailbroke my iPhone 4S with Absinthe and I'm wondering if I want to update to 5.1 when it comes out later can I just do a regular update using iTunes (or even OTA update on the iPhone) without going through the complicate process of using Tiny Umbrella and whatnot? I don't plan to jailbreak my iPhone 4S in the future so I just want to get it back working as normal. Would updating through iTunes brick my iPhone? Thanks!

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Hi guys. I jailbroke my iPhone 4S with Absinthe and I'm wondering if I want to update to 5.1 when it comes out later can I just do a regular update using iTunes (or even OTA update on the iPhone) without going through the complicate process of using Tiny Umbrella and whatnot? I don't plan to jailbreak my iPhone 4S in the future so I just want to get it back working as normal. Would updating through iTunes brick my iPhone? Thanks!
if you update through itunes and do not want to JB that is fine

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So there's really nothing I need to do prior to updating to 5.1? I too have a 4S and would rather have the update than the JB (can wait until the hackers JB 5.1 to be jailbroken again).

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
WEEEEELLLLLL....

I had to to do a 5.0.1 restore a couple weeks ago due to a JB crash, and iTunes kept saying "Failure to Restore" error.

Turns out, I had to manually delete Cydia's IP address from the iTunes syshost file in Windows with Wordpad to get it to work.

I think you can do it with TinyUmbrella too, but I find it easier to just do it manually and with Wordpad.

But - this is only if you have error message during your 5.1 update. Most likely it'll work just fine without any tweaking required because you're not doing a restore, you're doing an upgrade.