Updating a jailbroken iphone??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by macnfab, Apr 22, 2011.

1. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

So iv'e been reading and some sites say you can update in itunes then install newest jailbreak? Some say you have to find the firmware first?? I'm currently on 4.3.1 on iphone 4. I just did my first jailbreak a couple weeks ago with redsn0w. It was pretty smooth and I'm scared to mess it up, updating so.. any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you as always! :)

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Read more and your question will be answered. Your question have been asking million of times.

3. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

too many answers ... i am really tempted to just undo the jailbreak.. what a headache!!!!

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If it's a headache for finding out the answer then undo it. JB isn't for someone that has no interest in reading and searching.

5. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

yea.. been reading for hours... sorry if that's not good enough for you. This is why i joined a forum.. so i could ask people who know more than me. If not? what is the point!!!!!!

6. jthomp macrumors regular

backup/sync yourphone, use pkgbackup or another cydia app to backup your cydia apps/settings, etc. If you don't want to buy the app, skip this step and just do it "manually". Download whatever jailbreak app you are going to use (Redsn0w, pwnagetool, etc) and run the jailbreak. When that is done, restore from backup or set phone up as new. Download pkgbackup from cydia to restore cydia apps, or skip that step and install apps manually.

The search is your friend...

7. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

thank you. but do you update the firmware via itunes or find the file ? When i open the new redsnow i downloaded it asks me to browse for the firmware file?

I have already backed up.. this is as far as iv'e gone because i have searched and read about all the people having issues. I have throughly enjoyed the new features the jb has given me and I have even bought some apps but i am scared to tank my phone. Which is why i took the chance of asking a question that has been asked already.

8. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

i have the redsn0w and i'm downloading the file for the 4.3.2 firmware.. so where does the restore for backup come in? sorry...

9. jthomp macrumors regular

Sorry... First, when iTunes prompts you to update or you click update, your phone will download the firmware and update your phone to the newest version, which is 4.3.1. Redsn0w is asking your for the location of the actually firmware file. I'm not sure if you can locate the file from where itunes downloaded/saved it. I usually find the file (large file size: this time 650+mb) and save it to the desktop along with the Redsn0w application.

Here are a few of the issues I ran into the last two times when updating/jb'ing, maybe I can save you an extra headache:

- Had to clear out any gs.XXXX entries (relating to tinyumbrella) in the hosts file when attempting to update
    - Had to run Redsn0w in xp sp2 compatibility mode when using Windows7

After that it's smooth sailing. let me know if this helps (or hurts) your understanding of what goes on.

Maybe this will help as well...
    http://lifehacker.com/#!5771943/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-jailbreaking-your-ios-device

10. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

Don't use tinyumbrella or windows so i'm not sure?

I have it plugged in now and was reading through the redsnow site again. I have already backed it up. I have not yet updated so it's still on 4.3.1. I have downloaded the new redsnow and i am currenting downloading the itunes file (so i don't have to locate it)

then do i do a normal update through itunes (like before the jailbreak?) and then go about re-jailbreaking with redsnow, just like i did the first time i jailbroke it? I am really confused as to where the restore part comes in? like a factory restore?

11. jthomp macrumors regular

Yes, do a normal update via itunes to update your firmware to 4.3.1. At that point, your phone will be on the newest software with none of your personal data on it. Run redsn0w to jailbreak it. When that is complete, you restore from backup your data (text, contacts, apps, music, pix, etc) back on to the phone. You DO NOT click on the restore tab that is on the iPhone landing page where you click update or restore if you are having problems. I can't really walk you through the whole process by just telling you. You'll have to read, assume, hell, even guess. The only way to truly learn is to mess up, and re-do it. Good luck!

12. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

13. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

I think that i need to just get rid of this.. Thank you so much for you time! I appreciate it deeply! But this is just too much risk so I think I will sadly let go of the jb features instead!

14. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

Last night I undid the jailbreak... As i feared i am bored to death with it now. I updated/restored and then restored from back up. Is it too late or can i still jailbreak it again? I have the needed software sitting here, daring me!

15. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

Thanks to your help.. This morning I found the courage to go for it again! Thanks so much!

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I am ready to see more noobie threads from you.