Updating a late 2008 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by christyyyjoy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. christyyyjoy macrumors newbie

My sister's late 2008 Macbook is starting to get pretty slow, so I'd like to update it for her. So far, my plan is:

* Upgrade from 1GB RAM to 4GB
    * Replace harddrive with SSD
    * Upgrade OS to Lion (is it true that Mountain Lion won't work on her machine?)

And I also wanted to get her a hardshell case to just physically make it look like something new. However, I'm having a really hard time finding hardshell cases for anything that isn't the Unibody Macbook. Does anyone know where I can find an older hardshell case? I've looked on eBay, the Incase website, and the Speck website.

Thanks for any recommendations you may have!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can install up to 8GB of RAM, if you wish.
    You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM and maximum supported OS:

It should run ML:
    OS X Mountain Lion Technical Specifications
    For app compatibility: App Compatibility Table

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

4. christyyyjoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for all of these resources! With the search being upgraded/disabled on Macrumors, I was having trouble looking for all the information I wanted.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can still use Google to search the forum. Just add the following to any Google search: site:forums.macrumors.com

6. BigQid macrumors regular

I have the same problem but I'm trying to decide if it would be better to just buy a new computer. My hard drive is filling up, programs are crashing, and I want to make those same changes but its already 4 years old. I like computers but I don't trust myself to fix it. Should I just move on?

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Consider an SSD, decent brands can be picked up relatively cheaply now. It will breathe life into your ageing Mac.

You can always install into a new Mac anyway if you are still not happy :)

8. TheZA macrumors regular

Actually, mid-2009 was the last non-unibody Macbook (Macbook 5,2). It is the one I have. As stock, it came with 2 Gb RAM and can run Mountain Lion.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Very nice but OP claims his is a 2008. Only the UB from 2008 can officially run MLion. If he has 1GB as stock, its likely an early 2008.