Updating a powerbook G4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by garyeestra, Feb 13, 2010.

1. garyeestra macrumors newbie

I bought a powerbook G4 from ebay a couple days ago.
    I've never used macs before so my question might come up as stupid.

I'm trying to download softwares such as the newest version of Adobe player, quicktime, safari, etc. but my computer can't open them, I'm assuming because the operating system is too old.

Here are the specs:Machine Model:
    Mac OS X 10.3.9
    PowerBook G4 15"
    CPU Type:powerPC G4 (1.1)
    Number Of CPUs:1
    CPU Speed:1.5 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU):512 KB
    Memory:512 MB
    Bus Speed:167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version:4.8.6f0
    Serial Number:W84371JPQHYSize: 256 MB
    Type: DDR SDRAM
    Speed: PC2700U-25330

So my question is which operating system should I update to? I really don't know the differences between them (I know that the newest, snow leopard won't work with this so yeah.)

Thanks

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

You should get OS X 10.5. That version is nicknamed Leopard, as opposed to the current version, 10.6, which is named Snow Leopard.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Your PowerBook will run Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) and Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger).

Look if any software you want to install is supported in Tiger, then I recommend going with Tiger, as Leopard is a little bit slower on those older PPC machines.

Tiger and leopard can be found on eBay, but beware of gray restore DVDs, as they are machine specific and will not work on your PowerBook. Better to get the retail versions, even though they might be a little more expensive.

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Totally disagreed! My main machine is a G4 powerbook 1 ghz running leopard, and it is plenty fast, and Leopard adds many advantages that are absolute must-haves, like QuickLook! Whenever I use a machine without quicklook I still habitually hit the spacebar to preview files, but nothing happens! Quicklook alone is worth choosing 10.5 over 10.4.

5. Morris macrumors regular

I am running Leopard (10.5.8) on a G4 1.5GHz Powerbook and it runs fine! The only thing you'd probably want is to upgrade the memory to more than 1GB, that will give a great speed bump and should be quite cheap.

There are plenty of benefits of running Leopard over older versions. Leopard still being supported by most modern software is just one of them...

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

My old Powerbook 1.5 is doing sterling work running Leopard server,never a hiccup,though bluetooth has died.

(max out the ram 2Gb )

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would also recommend using Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (although Tiger is a great OS as well). As others have said, if you do go for Leopard, I would encourage you to max the ram in your PowerBook G4 to 2GB.

You can find the RAM pretty cheap on eBay or check out www.datamem.com.

Best of luck on your new PowerBook G4 & enjoy! :)