Updating an iPhone on a computer other than your main one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chupa Chupa, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Good news is I'll be on vacation on July 11.

Bad news is I'll be away from the computer that syncs my iPhone..

I will have my MBP with me and also nearby Wi-Fi access. So would I be able to install iPhone 2.0 w/o having to resync my iPhone?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm pretty sure as long as in the iPhone settings in iTunes that nothing is to sync with the iPhone, then you will be good to go.

3. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I was going to post a thread about the same thing! I too will be on vacation when the iPhone 3G comes out and was hoping I could connect my iPhone to a computer that has iTunes and update it with 2.0 software.

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

I've updated my iPod Touch from other computers a few times. It worked fine, and I can't see why it would be any different from the iPhone soo yah.

5. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I'm going on a Carnival cruise, do you think there will be computers onboard that have iTunes or proper internet access to update to 2.0?

6. guru_ck macrumors 6502

No, their computers are locked down with access to Internet Explorer only. If you have a laptop you can bring that and hook into their network.

7. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

i believe, if you are trying to connect the phone to another computer, other then the one it is on, you have to restore the phone or ipod before you update it.