Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I got a 1st and a 2nd generation airport express I want to setup to airplay music to some stereos. I am using a ddwrt router for my network and just looking to the airport express to stream music and maybe act as a repeater.

I am totally new to these units, but read that because they are old you need to update the firmware to work with Yosemite and ios8. Something to do with itunes updates. Are there any guides out there that explain how to do this?

I have an old p laptop and and macbook on the way.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Go into Applications -> Utilities on your Mac and launch Airport Utility. If your APX are plugged in they should appear. Click on the icon and an info screen will appear. If there is a firmware available it will let you know, and you just click to install.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Can this be done on a windows xp machine?

Sacralidge I know, but transitioning to Mac, and haven't gotten the macbook I want yet.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Can this be done on a windows xp machine?

Sacralidge I know, but transitioning to Mac, and haven't gotten the macbook I want yet.

There is an older version of AirPort Utility that supports the AirPort Express 2nd generation for Windows (7.6.1). That version however requires Windows 7 or later. You may be able to try the older AirPort Utility 5.5.3 for Windows XP though it does not officially support that AirPort Express.

Just so you know, you cannot use an AirPort as a wireless repeater with a non-Apple router. You can however set them to "Join a Network" which will make them an AirPlay device and USB print server if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.