Updating Appleworks "Draw" documents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScottBonis, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ScottBonis macrumors newbie

Hi,

A simple question.

I have a bunch of flow charts and management organization charts in Appleworks "Draw". They look like a number of interconnected rectangles and ovals. What program can I input the files into such that I will be able to move the individual objects (rectangles containing names in an organization chart, for example). Some of the charts are extremely complicated and only need minor changes. I don't really want to change them to .jpg type photographs that cannot be altered. I'd like to simply move some of the objects and save the files in a more current program such that they can be changed again at a later date.

Thanks for any ideas.

Scott

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

The third-party application, EazyDraw, can open AppleWorks draw documents. If you still have access to AppleWorks 6 you can copy the contents of draw documents, paste them into an AppleWorks 6 word processing document in object mode (click the arrow in the tool panel), save the WP document & then open it in Pages. You can copy & paste from AppleWorks to Pages but you would have to do it object by object or it will be one big uneditable object.

3. ScottBonis thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi PeggyD,

Thank you so much. I have appleworks 6 and what you described worked perfectly. You have really made my day.

I was not aware that "Notes" could handle multiple independent objects and permit them to be moved separately.... but now that you've shown me, it only makes sense. All of the previous Appleworks and Clarisworks programs have included some form of object layout ability.

Transferring the original documents from an Appleworks "draw" program into an appleworks word processing document is so simple. And then as you say, "Notes" will read the document. "Notes" would not read the Appleworks "draw" documents. That's what had me stuck.

Thanks again so much, Scott