Updating apps is like navigating a mine field

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eso, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I always read around these forums about how Apple's integrated approach is a strength for the iOS platform. Developers don't have to worry about developing and optimizing their apps for many different hardware configurations, so it makes for a more polished experience.

Why is it then that so many apps release a buggy update that crashes or corrupts old app data? And where's the app review process to make sure updates function properly? If it isn't crashing, it's that the developers have added obnoxious ads, or changed app functionality for the worse (for Flixster, it's both at the moment).

It's at the point where I literally can not update an app without reading the reviews to make sure I'm not going to be screwing myself. So much for "it just works".

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

"it just works" for me, never had a problem. I usually restart my phone after

3. iAd4m macrumors member

It just works for me too...so far

Granted I've only had the ip4 for 2 weeks but since it's a new toy I've been installing/uninstalling apps like crazy. No problems yet.

4. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

It falls under the "It just works." category for me too. The last time I had a problem, it had to do with my works wifi.

5. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Most things work, but you do have to read those reviews. They can save you a lot of grief.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have not had a problem with crashing apps or corrupted data
    Perhaps it is your choice of apps

I don't have a lot of obscure things, mostly mainstream

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I also have had no problems with either downloading apps or updating them or using them.

8. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

TomTom and navfree were a bit of a problem for me just because of the sheer size of these apps, but if you have enough free space to download them they will come down and install fine. Otherwise just pause the download and connect to iTunes, it will detect an app update available and download it in the iTunes download section. When done just synch and it will install the update.

Whole thing works really well for me.

TomTom has wiped out settings for me twice now but because I only want one or two things different from default I'm fine with it. IMO this does fall under a dev somewhere not doing things right but sometimes they just can't because of other limitations.

9. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I have never had problems.

Even if it has bugs in it and the App crashes, all you have to do is email the Developer and they will fix it and then ask for a Expedited review from Apple so there should be a new update in 2-4 days without the bugs.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are you usually running the current version of iOS? Because the only warnings I've seen for things like that have to do with old OS versions.

Now, if you're using an original or 3G iPhone then I feel for you. It sucks that you can't have all the latest and greatest, but at the same time, it's not really the developers fault that your hardware is old. If you have old hardware you'll have to get used to old apps. That's just the way computers work.

On the other hand, if you have a new iPhone but run an old OS, well then my sympathy is limited.

And then there's the 3rd option: If neither of those is true then...hmm. I'm confused. As the other posters here all attest, these sort of problems aren't common. Perhaps you should try restoring your phone. If you have a problem no one else here has then it's clear there's something wrong with your phone.

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

3 iPhones and never a problem for me. I think Apple does an excellent job of reviewing and weeding out problem apps. I only use the latest IOS and keep my apps updated.

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Specific examples please?

Speaking from my own experience, I've never had corrupted data from an update on any iOS device.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Haven't had problems at all with any of my apps updating ever since I started using the iphone 3 years ago. It's probably the types of apps you're downloading, OP.

15. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I haven't had any problems updating apps either.

17. Eso thread starter macrumors 68000

Eso

It's not that the apps don't update without problems. It's that the updates are very buggy, crash, or add a bunch of new ads that ruin the experience.

As far as adds, that's really a matter completely up to the developer. The problem is that I can no longer see that I have X number of updates available, and happily update all without worry. Because many times it's either the app crashes or all the update does is add a bunch of ads.

Um.. is something wrong with the app store? I suddenly have 0 updates available (have been sitting on 7 but refuse to update them).

I know that bloomberg, flixster, yelp, and dragon dictation all have reviews saying that the app now has at least one of the above problems. Flixsters reviews read as: "great app killed by ads", "crashes", "awesome", "great", "used to work", and "crashes".

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Viper Remote Start

[​IMG]

I updated it on the 22nd when they finally announced a new release with a couple new cool features and BAM! Crashes. I then jumped to read the reviews and shoulda known.....I wasn't alone. Seems no matter what version of iOS4.x you're running, it sucks.

Oh well, just deleted it from my phone and restored it from my last sync on 12/20. I'll do as the original poster says and be sure to wait and read up on it when I do pull the upgrade trigger on this one.

It's a great app regardless, but I am a bit surprised it's update blows up.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Those are questions for the developers who are third party to iOS. I'd say any modern OS (mobile or not) runs well out of the box but watch out when you start installing proggys and drivers. Also, I don't have the details of what the Apple Store approval process is, but with as many developers and applications out there I doubt Apple spends much time (if any) on functionality and regression testing. Does Google or Microsoft take that responsibility? (a question, not a snarky comment)

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Don't know what to tell you....I've bought over 125 apps on the App Store, have frequent updates, on my 3rd iPhone (had 2G, 3G and now 4), always stay current with iOS updates, never jailbroke the device.

Not a single corrupted file after an app update. I have had apps crash on me from time to time but typically a reboot of the iPhone avoids it being a repeated occurrence.

Are you running stock firmware or did you jailbreak?

21. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

When I have problems I usually power down completely and if that doesn't work then uninstalling the App and reinstalling it usually works fine.

22. wyneken macrumors regular

It would help if you'd give us one specific example (at least) of the kind of problem you're talking about.

I assume you've rebooted the iPhone now and then when it's acting buggy?

My guess is that some application(s) might have been behaving badly and something has gotten corrupted in the many little files and caches and settings used by the OS. In this case the only remedy is to restore the iPhone. And you may have to restore it as a "new" iPhone since it sounds like this problem has been going on for some time now.

If you do this, you can reinstall all your apps for free, but you'll lose files and data and settings that aren't backed up somewhere. And when you're reinstalling apps, please be very careful to read the comments in the App Store.

As you might have noted, nobody else seems to be reporting this kind of problem, which suggests that it's specific to your device. Are you still inside the window for Apple tech support, or do you have AppleCare? I've never had a problem that couldn't be fixed pretty quickly -- even if the fix was to send me a new device.

23. beckett121 macrumors newbie

iphone frozen

guys i got my iphone christmas day i've reset everything an now its frozen on the apple screen i've pushed all 3 buttons to reset it an now i can get on the screen is the apple logo why is this an can any one help:):)

24. Eso thread starter macrumors 68000

Eso

There's nothing wrong with my phone because I avoid updating when I read that half the reviews say the app just crashes after updating.

My point is that it would be really nice if I didn't have to worry about reading the reviews and could just update my apps on the assumption that they would get better than they were before and it would be true. It's not.

25. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I understand what it is you are saying, OP. I've only had one app that did what you are complaining about and it drove me crazy! It took forever to get the app to work, and the creator didn't do much to help.
    What I find interesting is that there are a lot of people who complain that Apple is TOO controlling about what it allows in and what it excludes.
    Now here is a situation where they are not controlling enough. From their point of view, they can't win!
    I guess it just boils down to the same thing it boils down to in every other marketplace- Caveat Emptor- Let the Buyer Beware!