Updating ATI Drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by byron_hinson, Jul 31, 2010.

1. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

Just got the new 27" iMac with the 5750 and wanted to update the graphic driver. I installed the one from the ATI site but it hasn't updated the driver

2. marykom macrumors newbie

The ATI drivers are not called drivers by the company. They’re referred to as ATI Catalyst files. Click on the most recent catalyst, download it, and then install it by double-clicking the exe file. Once the install is complete, reboot your computer and the ATI drivers should automatically load with the operating system.

3. Flea24 macrumors newbie

im having this issue under W7 64BIT + 5750.

i download the display driver from ATI but when i come to install it, it claims my driver is upto date. (using the bootcamp disc driver) which it clearly isnt. i try to uninstall the ATI driver using the add/remove programs but when i do i cant install it again as it cant detect my graphics card (primary display adaptor)

really need help on this front

4. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

Unfortunately drives have never been ATi's strong point :(
    They have come on leaps and bounds sine the old days but there are still a few niggles.

GPU drives (among others) can bed themselves quite deep in to the system and when upgrading you can have an issue every now and than.
    It's a bit like when you remove a program on OSX, some times you get stuff left over.

If you download this tool (Driver Sweeper) and follow the instructions it will remove any stuff left over by the old drivers.
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
    (I hope links are ok, I'm new to this forum so not sure where the rules stand.)

Now this is what I would have done if it was a 'true' PC so to speak, I'm not sure how much help it will be if your running Boot Camp but it's worth a shot.

However... If the old driver works and your not getting any issues and games are playing well then stick with the ones you've got.

5. fergwad macrumors newbie

Had similar problems installing new drivers and catalyst utility with my 4850, but it turns out nearly all the iMac ati cards are actually mobility versions, not the full desktop gpus. Make sure you you download the mobility ones from the ATI site, select:

Notebook graphics > Mobility Radeon Series > Mobility Radeon HD 4 or 5 series

Once I did this it installed and updated correctly.