Updating Carrier Settings for Unlocked iPhone - Safe?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by foreignconcepts, Feb 12, 2010.

1. foreignconcepts macrumors member

Just a quick n00b question for anyone who's lurking around tonight, I have my APN settings for my unlocked iPhone 3G shown below.

However after comparing my settings with those on my Dad's new 3GS, I noticed that he had considerably more to the Network menu than I did. Also, when I went to sync with iTunes (after successfully evading the 3.1.3 prompt), I had a Carrier Settings update prompt come up. Would updating Carrier Settings allow me more flexibility (ie - with respect to tethering and multimedia messaging) than I would have before?

I've poked around a bit online and on this board and from what I can see it is safe to do with an unlocked phone, however, I just wanted to make sure? If it doesn't help, am I able to revert to my original APN settings myself, or do I have to take the phone back in to have the the pda2.bell.ca APN put back into that field on the phone?

Attached Files:

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

3. foreignconcepts thread starter macrumors member

No, I did it myself with blackra1n last night, it's an AT&T phone. Got the Bell SIM today and had to put in the APN settings in order for data to work properly.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

i dont really think it will do anything, but i wouldnt update just to be on the safe side.

5. foreignconcepts thread starter macrumors member

6. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

I also have a similar queston. I have t-mobile, and I have found a way to get free Internet. I only need to know one thing, when you ask t-mobile to set up your edge network, you have tonput the following address into the apn space wap.voicestream.com. I just want to know if it will give me any charges.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Trust me it will give you charges. There's no such thing as free Internet. If you don't have a data plan you will be charged per kb used.

8. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Ctually it's a proxy, I use it with my samsung behold and have never had a charge. Pm if you want to know what I'm talking about.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting, you sure it's untraceable?
    I will pm you in a few then:)

10. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not, yet.
    I will test it out tommorow and wait for his bill to come in hopefully with no additional charges :D

12. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

13. iphonetraveler macrumors newbie

Updating Carrier Settings for Unlocked iPhone seems safe

I live overseas and use an unlocked AT&T iPhone with a Vodafone sim, I just updated my carrier setting and so far it seems to be working just fine.

14. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Sorry to necro the thread but what's the consensus on updating carrier settings on a jailbroken, unlocked (ultrasn0w) iPhone 4? I'm on Rogers 7.0 and this prompt for 7.2 has been driving me nuts.

15. gunit macrumors newbie

Does any know how i can update carrier settings in a jailbroken unlock iphone 4 in iOS 4.1