Updating deactivated 1st gen iPhone from 2.0 to 2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ycoidi2000, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ycoidi2000 macrumors member

I apologize if this has been asked already, but my search didn't turn up an answer (it's probably buried in a thread)...

I would like to upgrade my deactivated 1st gen iPhone (the one that turned into a glorified Touch after my 3G upgrade). It's currently at 2.0 and I'd like to upgrade to 2.0.1.

My upgrade to 2.0.1 on the 3G didn't go very smoothly, and the iPhone needed to be restored. In that process, it needed to be reactivated. My concern lies with the 1st gen iPhone if the same thing happens. Will there be a problem performing a restore if necessary, or do I take the risk of bricking it?

Thanks for the input!

2. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

Shouldn't be a problem. I have my original phone, I use it via wireless. I updated mine with no issue.

I also restored it from scratch while it was deactivated and it said it needed to be activated, but gives you the option to just Cancel, and still use it with no issues.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Seriously!? My brother-in-law gave me his old iPhone when he upgraded to the 3G (great isn't he) and unlocked it for me with his SIM after he wiped it. I've been wary of upgrading the firmware because I didn't want it to become useless until I decided to activate it (would lose my 45% FAN discount).

Not that I don't trust you but does anyone else know if this is true?

*Note: I don't have any sort of SIM in it currently because I'm still using my old SE phone as well.

4. ycoidi2000 thread starter macrumors member

I've waited a while to see if anyone had actually performed this. Now that we're at 2.1, has anyone been able to upgrade their deactived iPhone?

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

After I got my 3G, I've been using my original iPhone without that type of activation and it works just fine.

6. abz786 macrumors 6502

7. ycoidi2000 thread starter macrumors member

What I'm saying is that I want to turn my 2g iPhone that is deactivated into an iPod Touch running 2.1. There are applications I want to install that require 2.1 and don't work with 2.0.1. If I need to jailbreak it, I'm ok with that. I am just trying to find the best way to upgrade a phone that I have no intention of using as a phone anymore.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

You should be able to just update it. As long as you don't restore, you won't need to activate with software updates.

9. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Even if you do restore it, you can just put your 3g sim in the old phone in order to activate it, or use PwnageTool.