Updating EFI firmware multiple times?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Arctix, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Arctix macrumors newbie

Hi,

Quick question, is updating your EFI firmware multiple times possible/not bad for your Macbook Pro?

Thanks in advance!:)

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

At some point it would become a problem, but we are talking orders of magnitude more than you are likely to ever see outside of a hardware production lab.

More likely is that you are talking about installing the EFI updater, rather than running it to flash your firmware. If you are getting the message out of Software Update, then that is just installing the update software, that is not doing anything to the firmware itself. If you find yourself in that sort of a loop, then look in /Applications/Utilitites to find the actual firmware updater, and run that. That will shutdown the computer (it is very explicit about this) and then you will have to hold down the power button untill you get a beep, then a progress bar will show you the update happening.

3. Arctix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer:D. I have some kind of problem with my Macbook Pro that started since installing the latest EFI update (2.2). So I was wondering if doing the EFI update again would make my Mac back normal again. If I understand you correctly, doing this again would cause no harm to my machine?

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

You will not be able to re-flash the firmware with the same updater, and would have to revert to a former one. But the chances that this is going to fix anything are somewhere between slim and none.