Updating firmware for a Seagate drive in a MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by camner, Dec 23, 2012.

1. camner macrumors regular

I just purchased a couple of 2TB Seagate drives and one of them has an old version of the firmware (CC9C) that the Seagate site says can be upgraded.

Following the directions on the Seagate site I downloaded the .iso file, burned it to a DVD, booted off of the DVD, but the DOS-based firmware updater doesn't recognize the existence of any drives on the Mac Pro (I have a 2010 5,1).

Does anyone know of a workaround?

Equally importantly, is the firmware update truly necessary? The drive makes some annoying sounds, but does that interfere with the operation of the drive?

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

4. camner thread starter macrumors regular

With all due respect, if I had a PC to do this with I wouldn't have asked here! :(

5. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

If you are willing, this might work.

Take out all drives except the one you want to do the firmware upgrade too. Then boot off that DVD (iso). I think I fixed a problem like that once, doing that.

Sorry if it doesn't work out. I think what happened with me was all the other drives were already upgraded to that firmware, and I also formatted, initialized, MBR, ntfs, the drive I wanted to update, shouldn't matter, but I also booted into Windows XP

Voodoo is Voodoo

Laters