Updating Firmware From 3.1.2 to 3.2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by marcbkk, Nov 13, 2010.

1. marcbkk macrumors member

I have an old iPhone, the regular 3G, which I bought in the states over 2 years ago. Currently it is jailbroken and unlocked and I am running Firmware version 3.1.2 and baseband 5.11.07

I would like to update my firmware to the 3.2 in order to be able to install VLC Player.

Can someone please post the simple steps in order for me to do that so I don't end up bricking my phone.

I don't want to go to Firmware version 4 as I think it would run too slowly on my phone.

Many thanks. Cheers...

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

3.2 is for the iPad.

3. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. So what would be the latest 3.* Firwmare version I can update to?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The latest would be 3.1.3 (no real difference from 3.1.2).

5. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. So you think better just leave it as is?

I also feel the Firmware has gotten a bit buggy and slower recently. Maybe too many crashes, hangs, and installs and uninstalls of apps over the last year or so. So if I can do a reinstall and update to the latest at the same time then might as well.

Can you please post the steps to at least get me to 3.1.3?

Cheers...

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Doing a full restore should fix your issues.

Here is the guide on how to upgrade to 3.1.3 and jailbreak. http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7443

7. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. And then what do I use unlock after I upgrade to 3.1.3 and jailbreak?

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You would use Ultrasn0w again.

9. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Cheers. Is been a while since I did that. I just download that through Cydia, right? Do I need to add any repositories first?

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yep, you download ultrasn0w straight from cydia, the repository should be included already so a search for ultrasn0w should show it. If is not included in yours for whatever reason, then the address for the repository is: http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com/
    Remember is the number 0 not the letter O in the word ultrasn0w :cool:

11. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Cheers. I was amazed how quick the upgrade was and I didn't need to reinstall everything like I normally do. I guess maybe because I clicked the option that it was Pwaned already and it didn't need to reinstall Cydia. Does that sound right?

Normally I have to put all my Winterboard tweaks back in as well as have it restore all my data from iTunes. Seems none of that was neccessary this time.