Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Murdock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
Hi!

I just regged here though i've been lurking around for about a year now, since i got my powerbook in fact. In any case i have a question about updating the firmware for my iPod since i would like to start using podcasts with it. It's a 3G from 2003 and has never been updated to my knowledge(due to lazyness). Now my question is are there any known problems with installing the latest firmware on such an old iPod and will it work playing having podcasts on it?

I searched apples site and the forums and found no warnings but i still felt i should ask just to make sure. I'd hate to see the little thing die. :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
You should be fine updating the firmware to the last release (2.3). It's nice and boring and stable, as it should be.

Podcasts will play, but the support in the 3G amounts to collecting them into a single playlist, nothing fancy. Other small bits that were added in 3G updates were Apple Lossless and shuffle on the main menu (meh).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's always a good idea to keep your firmware up to date. However, this FAQ says you need an iPod with a click wheel to play Podcasts. This kinda implies you won't be able to. :(

I'd still update the firmware though. It's worth a try. :)

Wow. I'm getting slow at this game. :eek:

Murdock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
Ok that's what i was looking for. Didn't expect anything fancy but since i'm poor and the 3G does work like a clock i'll hang on to it.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.