Updating Firmware on SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by damet, Apr 20, 2011.

1. damet macrumors newbie

So I recently installed a new 240gb Vertex 3 on my 2011 MPB 15inch. Everything is working great. But, I was wondering if I need to update the firmware on the SSD. Would that improve performance? If so, how would I go about doing so?

2. maxsquared macrumors regular

Last time I checked, it is not possible to upgrade Vertexs on Mac, some how the drive needed to be formatted in NTFS, never read into it though

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Updated mine just fine in bootcamp, and then removed windows

Didnt even activate.

4. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    OCZ firmware update can be done in windows or linux
    the latter if free and im certain praz or tony over at the ocz forums have provided an excellent tutorial on creating a bootable linux cd/usb drive!

You will need to erase/flash u're ssd then reformat to MBR and NTFS i think and then install win/linux in order for the firmware updater to run w/out issue!

5. damet thread starter macrumors newbie

The question is if it is worth it to do so? Will it make difference in performance for OSX?

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i do not follower each and individual ocz vertex firmware, but i do remember on the prelude to the v3 release i was spending a lot of time over at the ocz forums and seems that each f/w update provided a new fix and resolved a certain issue, sleep for e.g.

My best guess would be for a definitive answer ask the mods over on ocz forums/sandforce support - the forums are great and you will get the answer from official staff!