Updating First gen macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cmmabb, Apr 17, 2008.

1. cmmabb macrumors newbie

I have a first generation macbook with a 80 g hard drive and 1g of ram. I was looking to upgrade both, I was wondering what would be the largest hard drive I could put in my macbook and how much ram. Also what are some websites that are good to buy from and what brand of hard drive?

Thanks

2. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I bought a 2GB ram module (max supported by your macbook since you have a first gen) on ebay for $25 and newegg sells hard drives relatively cheap (no size limit, but 250 is the biggest that you can get right now for anywhere near a price that isn't ridiculous)

3. cmmabb thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, so the first gen macbooks a 250 g hard drive will fit inside where my 80 g is?

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

2x1GB modules will give you the best performance. You can put up to a 320GB drive in your machine currently, and later this spring the 9.5mm 500GB 2.5" HDs will be available.

Personally, I like OWC for memory and drives.

5. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

just make sure you get a 2.5" SATA hard drive and you should be good. It doesn't matter what speed, but at least get 5400 RPM (which is what your computer likely shipped with)

6. cmmabb thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i noticed an option for 8 or 16mb cache does that make a difference if so which one do I need

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

16MB will be a bit faster for data access since it caches more.

Make sure the drive height is 9.5mm (which almost all are).