Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm curious, if you get a free app now and it ends up costing later, when you install updates in the future (after the price has gone from free to $$) do you get charged?

I don't mind paying for apps that are worth it, but I just don't want to get an unpleasant surprise on my bank statement. :p

atluten

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
I've updated a few apps that have since turned into paid apps and have not been charged. The updates were delivered free of charge. Cheers.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I've updated a few apps that have since turned into paid apps and have not been charged. The updates were delivered free of charge. Cheers.
Same here. And I haven't been charged for updates for the applications I paid for either - so far.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Me, too. I know of, at least, 1 App that went from Free to a Fee, and I wasn't charged when I received the new update.

I guess that this is the one place that it pays to install an App when it first appears. Especially if you think you may become interested in it later. Also, just in case it's pulled off later like NetShare was.

The only thing is, if you jump on one and purchase it, and it's later reduced or made free, you eat it.

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
The only thing is, if you jump on one and purchase it, and it's later reduced or made free, you eat it.

Good point, but I figure those you get free more than make up for it... besides, if it's a quality app and I was willing to pay for it to begin with, I'm not going to begrudge the developer a few bucks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.