Updating free vs paid apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by megatronbomb, Aug 9, 2008.

1. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I'm curious, if you get a free app now and it ends up costing later, when you install updates in the future (after the price has gone from free to $$) do you get charged?

I don't mind paying for apps that are worth it, but I just don't want to get an unpleasant surprise on my bank statement. :p

2. atluten macrumors 6502

I've updated a few apps that have since turned into paid apps and have not been charged. The updates were delivered free of charge. Cheers.

3. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Nope once you've downloaded it that counts as purchasing it even if it's free.

4. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Same here. And I haven't been charged for updates for the applications I paid for either - so far.

5. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Me, too. I know of, at least, 1 App that went from Free to a Fee, and I wasn't charged when I received the new update.

I guess that this is the one place that it pays to install an App when it first appears. Especially if you think you may become interested in it later. Also, just in case it's pulled off later like NetShare was.

The only thing is, if you jump on one and purchase it, and it's later reduced or made free, you eat it.

6. megatronbomb thread starter macrumors regular

megatronbomb

Good point, but I figure those you get free more than make up for it... besides, if it's a quality app and I was willing to pay for it to begin with, I'm not going to begrudge the developer a few bucks. :)