Updating from 10.2.8 to 10.4.?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MsChar, Dec 8, 2008.

1. MsChar macrumors newbie

I want to update my OS from 10.2.8 to 10.4 on my 800 MHz Power PC G4, very disappointed I can't go to 10.5 but oh well ... so I am not sure what to update to as Apple have left us poor user high and dry by discontinuing the 10.4 so I can't get any help from them. I have been looking around on places like ebay to see if I can still get it and have been left confused whether I can go from 10.2 to 10.4 and if I can which version of 10.4 I should get as I have seen 10.4, 10.4.6 and 10.4.8, one of which on the write up on the ebay listing said I needed 10.3.? to use the 10.4 update.

I really need to update my computer because I am unable to get some software programs I want unless I've got the OS. I finally saved up enough to upgrade (and get some other programs) only to find out that Apple stop making the software :-(

So if anyone can help me with my queries and perhaps tell me where to go for a legal copy of the OS and what to avoid if I am buying new or used product, would be much appreciated. Also I am in Australia, so don't know if I can buy software from overseas or not.

Thanks

2. jackoverfull macrumors newbie

I think that you can update from 10.2.8 to 10.4.

Mac OS X 10.4 should be still available from apple, but i can no loger find it on the apple store online. Have you already tried to phone apple?

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Pick up a retail pack of Tiger on eBay, not any pale grey discs because they're machine specific.

It doesn't matter which version it is as all point updates are free and downloadable from Apple i.e. install 10.4.0 and you can upgrade to 10.4.11 in one go for nothing. You don't need to install 10.3 first.

However, you'll need a DVD drive (reader) in your machine. Unlike OS 10.2, Tiger comes on DVD discs, rather than CDs.

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

5. jackoverfull macrumors newbie

yeah, but if you don't have a lot of ram an 800 mhz mac will be very slow…and it will be slow also with a lot of ram.:D

Anyway, tiger install cds does exists (but it may be hard to find a set) and it is possible to boot from a firewire dvd reader (inside another mac booted in target disk mode, maybe) or to create a minimal installation cd using a dvd.

6. MsChar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help.

I tried Apple originally by checking their store and when I couldn't find it I called them and they confirmed they no long manufacture it, therefore no longer sale it and just offered suggestion on where to look to find it eg Trading Post, ebay, etc.

I think I have found what I need on ebay now that I have all your advice - going by the picture link posted above - the ebay item includes a black dvd disc (that looks the same as jpeg image) along with a gray disc that is for a G5 and a iWorks disc along with the book.

The black dvd disc looks exactly like the picture so can I safely assume that it will be OK for my G4, even though their is also a gray disc for G5?

I am on the verge of buying, just want to make sure it is right as I can't afford to stuff up.

Thanks.

7. jackoverfull macrumors newbie

Only if the black disk is not an "update dvd".